Monday, March 12, 2012

A Simple Woman's Daybook~March 13, 2012



Taking a Moment to Contemplate the Journey!

Just For Today...Monday, February 20, 2012
Our lives pass swiftly by!
I want to do something to remember
the everyday moments and my thoughts.
That is what this daybook is all about.
Focusing on the little things that become my life.
One week at a time.


Outside my window...It is 10:15 pm Monday night and I am getting a little head start on my Daybook. Our weather is being very predictably unpredictable. Now that spring is supposed to be nearly here...we have at least 6 rainy days ahead. We need it for sure. We just got home from a dinner with our friends and it felt very chilly out so maybe we'll even get a little snow in the mountains nearby.

I am thankful for...being back on this blog for the time being. I have been so swamped of late and lacking in motivation but I am here now so this is good. Ever since I decide to start a new blog I have felt like I have abandoned this one. But I want to do a few more posts here for an even 1600. Why? I don't really know. I haven't set up the new one yet but I think I will keep it very much like this one, just volume 2. I look forward to having it smaller so I can actually find things with the searchability of a smaller blog.
From the learning room..I am learning so much more about genealogy now and beginning to feel like I can help people...but I am finding that I am missing the creativity of blogging. I need to find a way to balance the two with everything else. Not an easy task but I am searching for it.

I am reading...Googling your Family History by Daniel Lynch. How can there be 300+pages about this? I am trying to find out!! Google is just so beyond amazing.

From the kitchen...not much really. We have been going to various friends' houses and also out a lot lately. We have to get back into a saner routine again in the kitchen and soon!
I am missing...all of our family...time for trip to Utah. Jennifer will be having surgery at the end of the month so we are heading that way. Hazel has developed some skin issues with her cast so both Jim and I are going back this time. Hopefully the cast will be off soon and switched to a smaller soft cast. The big one has been a nightmare.
I am hearing...Love Never Dies, the new Andrew Lloyd Webber sequel to Phantom of the Opera. Loving the music, it was just released on March 9th but I had an opportunity last week to see it with my friend Barbara while Jim was in Utah. It was actually a video (incredibly done) of an actual performance in Melborne. It was shown in local theaters throughout the country for just one night this month on March 7. It was excellent, I liked it better than Phantom. The DVD will be out on May 29th.
I am wearing...jammies.
I am quoting..." Beauty is not in the face, beauty is a light in the heart. " Kahlil Gibran

Somethings that made me especially happy this past week...Laura and Jen had a nice visit in the east. Jim did a great job of taking care of the girls while Lowell worked during the day. The girls were very good for their Grampa. Hazie is so happy in spite of all her problems. I had a good freind visit us while Jim was in Utah. Caroline stayed six days and we had a great time. We rallied our friends and set up some activities and whoever could come did. It was like girls' party for days. We shopped and ate out and had a potluck went to the City and watched a movie, had dinner at a mutual friend's house. It was great.

Some spiritual thoughts I have been pondering...
I have been thinking about how the Lord in His wisdom has given us the scriptures which contain historical information that we should be learning from when we read and study. The mistakes of mankind occur over and over as history repeats itself in predictable patterns. We need to find ways to save this country from its downward spiral. Let's hope we can before it is too late.
I am going..to work on preparing another post for my genealogy blog for this coming Sunday when we meet with our focus group, get Piper's 13th birthday gift in the mail today and make our dinner for work in the next few minutes.
One of my guilty pleasures..British TV and movies. LOVE them.
Pet Peeve..People that are ignorant and have no social graces, no sense of civility or decorum.

One of my favorite things..
Day Trips with Jim to San Francisco.

An enjoyable movie I have watched lately...Downton Abbey, don't know when I have loved a series this much. It is right up there with North and South, (USA), Larkrise to Candleford, Roots, and War and Remembrance. EXCELLENT work! So enjoyable and evocative.
I am curious about...Selective bigotry.

If I could change one thing it would be..All of Hazie's difficulties and issues. Her happy attitude is amazing but I feel a lot of pain for what she has to go through.

A few plans for the rest of the week...work this afternoon and evening, tomorrow church dinner and vintage fashion show, lunch with a friend and a dental appointment, Thursday, clean house and desk work, Friday, not sure yet, Saturday more of the same and getting my lesson done for Sunday. Start preparing to go to help Jen, get some appointments made for hair, etc.

Some photos and thoughts I'm sharing this week...
This past week Jim and I checked off one of the items on our Bucket List. We have been wanting to and meaning to go to the Cliff House in San Francisco for decades to have lunch and enjoy the view of the ocean. We finally did it and I can assure you we will be going back. Our new favorite restaurant is Sutro's right there at the Cliff House. The food was sumptuous and delicious and so expertly prepared. I had salmon and Jim had blackened swordfish. Perfection down to the salt they use. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed walking around and taking photos.

The Spectacular View of the Pacific
from Sutro's at the Cliff House.
The view alone makes lunch a wiser choice than dinner.

An Old Sign from Sutro Baths
The Orchid
The View

The Swordfish

The Salmon

The cliffs by the sea!

We also went to The National Cemetery to find the grave of a relative. It was so amazing up there and our first visit. We owe a debt of gratitude to these fine men and women for the freedoms we enjoy! There are 123,000 grave here since 1941. It has about as many residents as the town where we live. Astonishing sight in all directions from this mound where the flag is flown over the cemetery. It was a wonderful peaceful day in San Francisco last week.

3 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

OUTSIDE...there are blue skies and 80 degree weather. I hope that doesn't mean a hot summer and busy hurricane season!
THANKFUL...you are back too. However, we do have to take time to do many other things as well. One of my blogger friends puts out 4, 5, 6 extensive blogs a day (and she works!) I don't know it's done!
LEARNING ROOM...I believe just about everyone is finding this out!
READING...you are blogging AND reading 300+ pages! WOW. I read so slowly because of picturing every detail in my brain, it would take me a while if blogging too!
KITCHEN...not much here either! I've been eating out with friends almost once a day this past week. I've just about realized it cost me no more than if I buy all the food and wind up throwing out half of it! Usually the restaurants give you enough to take home half of it for the next day!
MISSING...my friend broke her arm and is having the same problem. They put a soft cast on it and her husband rolled over on it the other night, OUCH!
HEARING...a show on tv that I don't usually watch (on computer and didn't change station) that I can't believe the language and it's in "prime time." No wonder the kids are repeating things they shouldn't!
WEARING...Pants and a shirt!!!!
QUOTING..."Wise is the person who knows what to say and when to say it." Daily Bread
HAPPY...Jim & Nellie getting their marriage document! Eating out with my neighbor, Alice on Monday; my retired teacher friend, Sylvia today; my Bible study ladie friends tomorrow!
PONDERING...Amen to your post! The LORD puts into power the people He does for His purposes. I pray His purposes will open the eyes of the people to choose correctly next time!
GOING...to work on a list to start overhauling each room in my house and get rid of 40 years of things I haven't looked at in 30 years!
GUILTY PLEASURE...fresh roasted peanuts as well as boiled peanuts!
PET PEEVE...Yes as you say as well as them using ignorance as an excuse!
FAVORITE...friends far and near!
And the internet making it possible!
MOVIE...Van Impe's DVD on the rising movement called "Chrislam!" It's very frightening to see prominent people supporting the merging of Christianity and Islam!
CURIOUS...at how people can turn a deaf ear and blind eye to things happening right in front of them!
PLANS...Bible class, lunch, cleaning out rooms, hair done (coloring this time!), worship on Sunday.
The LORD's blessings on you and yours, Susan

Deanna said...

Hello my sweet, I am so glad to hear that Hazie might be getting out of her cast soon. I can imagine the annoyance of such a cumbersome and heavy thing to have on such a wee little leg.

My prayers go out to Jennifer. I'm sure she is glad that the two of you will be there to comfort her.

I just finished working on my Timeless Me blog and I'm pooped. Timeless Things looks so bare now but I'm happy that I now will have a place for personal blogging. I just hope it won't be too irritating or confusing for anyone who follows TT.

Will you tell me what you think of the font on Timeless Me. I liked it at first but now its irritating me. I don't mind the font style being on the sidebar text but as the main text for posts...(growling)

I am so excited about finally participating in A Simple Woman's Daybook. That will be the only thing that I will participate in because it is such a thought provoking task. I so enjoy reading your posts. Sometimes you will write about something that confounds me or just like today, you wrote that you were curious about selective bigotry. I had to stop and think about that for a while. There are some days that I wonder why my brain is so vague about things. Could it be that I am not stimulating my brain enough throughout the day? In any case, I had to ask Marshall what that meant and he looked at me with a blank stare. We are now on Google. Need I say more..hahaha!

I stayed home today as I was feeling very listless. I managed to get to my Dr's office but he only had time to prick my finger and tell me that my blood sugar was high. I have a full appointment tomorrow at three. Not happy about that time at all since he is in the Medical district and I know we won't be getting home until almost six.

Well, I think Mr. Nelson and I are off to bed. Goodnight my dear Bonnie.

Deanna :D

P.S. Boy howdee, did I ramble on or what?

Marie Rayner said...

Loved reading your daybook as always Bonnie. I was in the shops on Monday and saw a Michael Ball cd and thought of you! Loved the photos of the Cliff house. What a delicious looking meal you both had! I did not know you had started another blog. Will have to check it out if I can find it! Love and hugs to you both! xxoo