Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Simple Woman's Daybook~June 29, 2011

So, For Today...

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Outside my window...It is 1:00 pm and the sun is trying to peek out and dry up the rain. Laura, Robert, Spencer and Ross are in flight to Rhode Island. We dropped them off a few hours ago. The house seems huge, the rooms look tidy, the silence is deafening. I tried to take a nap, exhausted, but not sleepy I guess.

I am thankful for...the month of June so full of special days to celebrate and commemorate and write about, I shall be busy catching up now for some time on the blog. I decided that starting with a daybook entry was a way to get my feet wet after a dry spell of three weeks. I don't think I have ever taken that long a break from blogging since I started in December 2007.

I am praying for... The only cloud in our June, and it was a huge, huge one was someone close to us was diagnosed with cancer. He starts chemo on Monday. He lives here in town so I am so glad we can be nearby to be a support and to assist him and his family in any way. The chemo has a good success rate we are told so that is the silver lining if there is one.

From the learning room..
.you just never know what life will bring. I believe we must be prepared by staying spiritually sound and healthy to weather the storms. A little oil in our lamp each day is a great way to fortify ourselves against the challenges we all must face. The love of the Savior makes everything seem brighter and more manageable.

I am reading...your blogs starting soon. I have been so out of touch with you and I miss you. I rely very much on your friendship, your support, your knowledge and wisdom. You are a very unique group of friends, I love you.

I am hearing...The washing machine and drier, the radio in the kitchen on a talk show. Ugh, I am not a fan. James is. I think I'll close my office door and listen to some Miles Davis.

I am quoting, myself...."A little bit of glitter and sparkle takes a day from ordinary to extraordinary." BJM

From the Kitchen...Jim cooked a gourmet breakfast this morning for the kids and us. We have leftovers, lots of fruit, a delicious oven omelet, and other goodies.

Today if I could change one thing it would be.. that time could have stood still just a little longer with our family.

I am wearing...sandals, jeans, a brownish, orangey top and a heavy sweater. It is freezing here today and so damp.

I am thinking about...how the kids will arrive home tonight around midnight and will be getting up very early to meet the friends from church who will help them move into their new house. They had everything packed and ready to go before they came to Utah and CA. They are going to be exhausted. Rephrasing that, they are already exhausted. Youth is on their side though. Robert got his second Master's Degree the night before they flew out. They are amazing.

I am going...to do as little as possible for the next couple of days. Writing excepted, I do want to do that. {P.S. I did take my nap and now feel ready to get going again so we'll see??}

I am missing...a sense of normalcy and routine. We are getting back to eating less, very healthy foods again already and not running around so much. Also missing the family...they leave a huge hole when they are away from us. A nice balance of our own time and time with them is best.

One of my joyous pleasures...thinking that Jim has been retired one year tomorrow and we have made it work well for us. You always wonder when you make such a huge change in your life style and it has gone pretty flawlessly. I think we are both more than a little surprised, but very happy about it.

Pet Peeves...
I mentioned it earlier...talk radio. Seriously I don't get why anyone wants to sit and listen to a bunch of people they don't know...talking. I'm weird I guess but, I don't get it. Half the time they are arguing or disagreeing about something that doesn't matter anyway. I hear enough talking in real time with people around me. I don't need the background noise or company of chattering voices. Am I alone in this? I find it very stressful as opposed to music which I find very relaxing.

One of my favorite things...The Farmer's Market....love it!

An enjoyable movie I have watched lately...Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day with Laura! Love watching movies with the girls.

I am curious about...whether or not there will be flooding in Utah and CA when it gets hot at the end of the week and the snow pack starts melting quickly. I sure hope not!

Around the house...we have already vacuumed and I need to dust a few things, Jim washed the floors, bathrooms are clean and we are changing the beds. All is back to normal.
A few plans for the rest of the week...still kind numb from all the stuff of the past month. Cannot think of anything coming up. My birthday is Saturday, nothing planned for that or the the 4th. Maybe I'll plant some flowers in our pots. Not committing to anything at the moment. We are going to try some 'chillaxing' as our grandies would say. We are not that good at that so I don't expect it will last very long.

Here are a few photos and thoughts I am sharing this week... these photos were taken at an early settlement in Utah where we stopped on our way down to Las Vegas. This settlement was founded by the 3rd great-grandfather of our grandchildren, Spencer and Ross. It was so neat to stop there and view not only life as it was 144 years ago but also to learn another piece of their own family history.

I thought about how much I loved this bowl and pitcher and the shelf with the crocks on it. I thought they would look so amazing in our kitchen. So I took the pictures and I am planning to have them printed and framed. Digital photos are so fun, you can surround yourself with beauty and not spend an arm and a leg and not have to worry about taking up a lot of space either. The best part, a little bit of the little ones' family history is being brought into the cottage.

Heavenly!

I thought this one might be fun in the laundry room but since I have no real choices of exactly where it would go due to no wall space left....I don't know?? You often have to sacrifice something you love to put in something new? What to do, what to do?

I hope things are going well for you,
I cannot wait to come by for a visit soon!


2 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

OUTSIDE...It is noon, dark and raining!
THANKFUL...for my Salvation!!
PRAYING...for Janet's friend, Sheila who is having brain surgery today. Judge Perry.
LEARNING...so much "law" from watching the entire courtcase of Casey Anthony.
READING..."Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo.
GOING...to relax, relax, relax!!!
MISSING...Good food!
PLEASURE...spending time with my neighbor friend, Alice.
PET PEEVE...(Kind of sounds like the case the defense is giving for Casey Anthony. They keep getting "shot down."
FAVORITE...food I don't have to cook!
MOVIE..."Singing in the Rain." I had never seen it before. It was great!
CURIOUS...whether Florida will be spared of hurricanes this year!
PLANS...Anthony Case, today through Monday. (Yes! it is carrying on through the holiday! (Super High Profile Case!)
Love to you and yours,
Susan

Marie Rayner said...

Loved your day book as always Bonnie! I am one of the wierd ones who enjoys talk radio! I know, crazy eh!! We can get a Salt Lake Country station here and we often have it on. I love it.
We are big radio people. It doesn't seem possible that Jim has been retired a year already, and YOU survived it!! Kudos to you girl!! xxoo