Thursday, November 20, 2014

When Little Things Mean A Lot!



For several years I have been writing posts about things I love and that I am grateful for in my life. Many of them are the big things in life, the gospel of Jesus Christ, our family, our friends, our health, having enough of what is needed, etc.  But many things on my lists are the little things.  The little things that add the nicities of life in small measure.   The ones that synergistically create a larger, more wonderful and abundant life.

As an example, look at the photo above.  I was browsing through my downloads in my electronic files and ran across this gorgeous photo of the sea.   I don't know where it came from  or who took this photo but there it was.  Just breathtaking!  As I clicked on that link I felt grateful for it, it lifted me up and brought me joy.  Part of being grateful in the small things is recognizing them and paying attention to our surroundings.  Part of being grateful is being able to relate something like this gorgeous photo to past memories or future dreams.  And then when we experience something like what I did out of the blue, we take that moment to appreciate it.  To see the beauty in it and to be grateful.    Gratitude is often found in the details of our lives.

So here are a few of the little things I love:

Texting and emails to and from people I care about very much.

Christmas lights when you first plug them in and rediscover the magic in them.

Hearing the rain hit the windows and trickle down while under the covers~all warm and cozy.

Working and playing with Jim.  We had a fun time setting up our Christmas tree last night.

The feeling of pushing through something difficult and coming through it!

I like reading our Guest Book, kept in our Guest Room and remembering the great times we've had.

Lunch out with friends.  I love being able to talk with them and just enjoying each other's company without an agenda or a schedule!  It is so nice.

Thinking about the lyrics of our hymns as we sing them on Sundays.  They are beautiful poems really.  Psalms.

Putting the last of the clean fresh laundry away.  Such a great feeling.

Reading through my blogs and remembering what a beautiful, full and blessed life we lead.

Being grateful, in general, because you can not be unhappy and grateful at the same time.  They are opposites.

Knowing that Thanksgiving Day is every day, not just a day in November when we eat turkey and think about pilgrims. Although that is great too!

How about you?  What are some of your favorite little things that mean a lot to you?

1 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

"There's no place like home!" And that is not just from the movie "The Wizard of Oz," but from my heart too! In the next 4 or 5 days it will be coming to past!
Love to and thanksgiving for all of you and yours, Susan