Thursday, August 11, 2011

Our Legacy



As some of you know my interest is growing in Genealogy and Family History. I know this is a niche that not everyone is interested in following so I have created a new blog where I will be writing exclusively about this topic from time to time.

Disclaimer here...I am not an expert in family history or genealogical research. And that, believe me, is an understatement! Writing this blog is my attempt to learn and record and keep the things I am learning in one place.

I have plans to write some short biographies of ancestors in our own family (at our son's request) and also to share with you ways that you can begin your own research into who you are. I will share some resources that are available and some tips and some free websites I have learned about in the past 8 months. I started our genealogy over 30 years ago but if you haven't kept current you basically start over learning how to find what you need.

This is probably a good blog for you to subscribe to by e-mail as I am not sure how often I will write in it yet. Hopefully a lot, but other things will have to give in the process. So we'll see. I would also like it to be more of an interactive blog with comments and questions about methodology, etc. Also I would encourage you to "Follow the Blog" so I have some kind of idea who is interested. I can just do my own thing and have it stored on a blog or you can bring it to life by participating.

This week I have just been setting it up and have written only two posts to date. I have several niche blogs and I know some people think this is nuts. But for me it is the perfect way to organize my thoughts on various subjects and it is a great way to store things and find them easily. What you may store on your computer in documents folders, I like to store on blogger.

Blogging Tip!

Did you know that by adding the gadget that says "Follow by email" into your sidebar and adding your own e-mail in the text box, you can get a hard copy of your blog post each day? I don't print mine but I do save each one and then I organize them into email folders for each of my blogs where they reside and can be easily copied should anything ever happen to the Blogger platform. I find it simple and efficient.

So sign up to receive a copy of your own posts or someone else's if they have added the gadget into their sidebar. If you want to follow by e-mail it is very simple. Just add your e-mail address into the box at the top of the sidebar and follow the prompts. From then on any posting will be sent to your e-mail box each day. Simple and you don't want to be caught without any kind of hard copy of your own work. Of course backing up in other ways is also great but this is one way I feel assured that if I haven't backed up recently, each day is saved so nothing will get lost.

I hope you will enjoy this blog and I have put a button on my side bar that will link you directly to it. Just look for the above photo, double click and you are there.

3 comments:

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Morning Bonnie,
I did not know all that about getting a copy of your blog post and stuff.
That is good to know. I will have to find out from Jimmy where we can store it on our own computer. course, guess you can't go back and get all the other posts, course, maybe we could copy and paste them or something.
So how are you girly??? Doing well I hope. How are Jim's hand doing??
Hope he is feeling better, and sounds like your brother is having a time of it. Is he feeling any better yet??? I know that after a week of so they do feel some better then they have to go back for more.
What a hard thing that must be....
Praying for Steve........

Wanted to tell you to make sure and come by cause I want you to get in
on my drawing for my faithful followers only...........you will see an attention sign at the bottom of my post, so make sure to read what is under that and it will take
you to my announcement post.

Hope all is well at your house,
Love ya hon, Nellie

sistersusiesays said...

My cousin on my mother's side has done an extensive geneology that goes back for many generations!

Thanks for the info about copying. I copy many and put in notebooks for each blog!

Love to you and yours,
Susan

BECKY said...

Hi Bon bon! I think it is so great that you are doing your family's history! How wonderful for them all!! And a joy for you!
I know it will be great!

Hope you have a delightful weekend!!
Hugs n love,
Becky

Thanks so much for praying for Emily.
Unfortunately, her Daddy has it now. Just praying that Sam and Hannah don't get it!