Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Simple Woman's Daybook~August 31, 2011



Just For Today...
Monday, August 22, 2011

As my friend Marie's says about writing a daybook post or reading one," It is like sitting down together for a chat over tea."


Outside my window...it is 7:15 am and the sky is a little overcast this morning. Over the past few years it seems like the fog that comes off the ocean is coming farther and farther inland in the mornings. This is a good thing as it does cool things off very nicely overnight and makes summer so much milder. There is also a gentle breeze, it is going to be a great day.

I am thankful for...learning and the desire for it. When you have the desire to keep learning you have a much more interesting life. I saw a great bumper sticker not long ago that said, "The more you know the less you need." I thought that was thought provoking. I once heard someone bragging about the fact he had not changed in 20 years. My first thought was...really?

From the learning room...some really interesting things in our WW meeting yesterday about some tools for having success in anything we do. This is a concept I want to share later this week as I think it is an amazing break through in the way we think, and we all know thoughts proceed actions!

I am reading..."What The Scriptures Teach Us About Adversity" by S. Michael Wilcox, "Abraham Lincoln, God's Humble Servant" by Ron Anderson and "Rutka's Notebook" (The Polish Anne Frank.) The first two books we bought at Education Week after hearing the most amazing lectures by the authors and the last book was given to me, by Stephen when we had lunch together with our spouses at Ed Week. All three are excellent and should take a bit of time to read.

From the kitchen...Since I got home Monday night I haven't really had a chance to get organized for the week but I did pick up a few things yesterday. The most exciting one was a big bag of fresh tomatoes from the Farmers' Market on our way to work. I see a wonderful tomato sandwich in our future. I was afraid we had missed most of the summer crop but there are still some available, so yay!

I am wondering...if I have any readers left? When you don't post regularly or comment on other blogs, you lose readers. Anyone still out there with me? We have just been gone so much and that doesn't help. I am sorry I have missed so much this summer.

I am missing...our little Hazie. Poor little angel is sick again. Some infections are going on in her little body. Out of the blue, no idea how, but she has picked a staph infection and also maybe something else going on simultaneously. More doctor appointments today, more sadness and stress for Jennifer. Hopefully she can get her into the spina bifida clinic at Children's this week. Some of her scoliosis problems need addressing to help her breathe better. There are some major surgeries in her future.

I am hearing..."It's a Wonderful World" by Ole Satchmo. And oddly it is, in spite of everything that causes us stress and concern.

I am wearing...blue and white summer night
gown but need to get dressed soon as I have a dental appointment today.

I am quoting..."If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Something that made me especially happy this week..was being able to spend five days with one of my very best friends in all the world. We talked for the entire time sharing memories, laughter, tears, and lots of fun. It was such a boost for me. I have missed her greatly. Sometimes you just need some serious girl time. Mission accomplished! I am so grateful Jim gets that and encourages it. What a blessing! We were able to reunite with some dear friends from the past as well at a wedding on Saturday. Some of them we had not seen in years. Joyous times and wonderful memories were made.

I am going...to sand and paint this great white chair for our bathroom some time this week. I have found that when you have a pedestal sink sometimes you just need a place to set something down on and this great chair will be perfect for that and for mommies bathing kids, if and when they come. Jen gave it to me and I am so happy about it. Thanks, Baby, I owe you!

One of my guilty pleasures...changing things up in the decorating department when the seasons change. I will be thinking about getting some fall stuff out in the next few weeks. It's my favorite season and I love the colors for decorating. Speaking of seasonal decorating, I found these really cool croquet balls at a yard sales in Utah for $5.00. I have been wanting to get some for years, I think they make a nice little summer statement. A couple of them are pretty beaten up but that just means someone had a good time playing with them. The rest are in great shape. I love whimsical decorating, it just makes life a little more enjoyable.


Pet Peeves...that natural disasters seems to have a way of finding and following our military kids around the globe. Laura says she is a disaster magnet. I am beginning to wonder...?

One of my favorite things...that God answers our prayers and that the kids seem to escape the worst of it every time. The island they live on fared very well all things considered and the kids were as prepared as anyone could have been. They made plans to evacuate but decided to stay home at the last minute after much prayer. They realized after the fact that if they had gone to Palmyra, New York as planned they would have been right in the storm's path as it moved west. I am so glad they know how to listen to the promptings of the spirit.

Another of my favorite things is that our son, Chris, had to fly to Washington, D.C. to present three papers at a national engineering conference and the storm passed through DC less than 24 hours before he had to go. So he arrived safely and there is one grateful Mama over her in CA. The angst for the safety and well-being of our children never leaves a mother for a moment does it?

An enjoyable movie I have watched lately...Midnight in Paris. This was an entertaining movie and had an interesting concept at its origin to create a compelling story line. And the views of Paris alone were worth the price of admission. The music was also wonderful. What a beautiful city, sure made me want to go back to France. Maybe someday.

I am curious about...what it will be like to stay home for a few months now. I am looking forward to it. I am hoping to get a lot of things accomplished.

A few plans for the rest of the week...dental appointment, pay bills, pedicure, paint the chair, Friday lunch with my sisters-in law in Benicia, date with James and time with my friends in the morning, and Saturday building clean-up at church in the morning and preparation to work with some family history consultants in our ward to orient them to their new callings and to let then know more about what is available at the Regional Family History Center where we serve.

Here are some photos and some thoughts I am sharing with you...

Sometimes the desert is pretty ugly. However, some days it is very beautiful also. It just depends on so many factors, light, time of day, how you are feeling, who you are with, etc. Here are some shots I thought were pretty amazing for drive bys. God created some gorgeous cloud formations for our enjoyment out there. And the run off from the snow melt has poured thousands of gallons of clean water into every possible low point in the terrain. That clear, clean water creates some beautiful blue, green views of the water than is normally just gray looking.

Scrumptious colors!

The sky was so incredibly blue as you can see!

When you think of the immensity of the
Rockies this cloud is beyond enormous.

Lake near Grantsville, Utah...
Add one on one with a great girlfriend and
everything is coming up roses, even in the desert!

4 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

WELCOME BACK!! I have missed your posts!

OUTSIDE...we had a cool breeze come through before a slight rain and now it is overcast holding the coolness under the cloud cover.
THANKFUL...for change that comes on earth, but more so I'm thankful for our never changing GOD!
LEARNING...that I don't know if I want to volunteer at school or not. I loved seeing my friends again, but the atmosphere brought about the memories of what all my friends are having to do. Some are already counting the days until the weekend! I don't think my stamina will hold up to it anymore.
READING...My "In Touch" magazine, "Daily Bread Bible Study," Midnight Call Magazine and Psalm 85.
KITCHEN...I've been trying different combinations of vegetables for my stir fries. I even gave some to my dogs in their food! They really like it!
WONDERING...Yes you will always have your readers stopping by! It makes our hearts all the more fonder when we wait to see what you have instore!
MISSING...(Response)Hazie is in my prayer journal every day!
HEARING..the t.v. in the background with Jerry (my african grey) whistling, Gracie barking at someone going around the culdesac.
WEARING...Oh, what's going to happen!! I have on my kitty cat shirt and green shorts!
QUOTING...The LORD has led me to keep this verse in mind when He was telling His disciples, "Therefore, I tell you, don't worry about your life!" Luke 12:22
HAPPY...to see my teacher friends again, even though they were as busy as ever!
GOING...to see if I can assist my friends again tomorrow. I will let them know if my stamina will let me continue.
PLEASURE...pumpkin pie with heathbar klondikes!! Mmm, Mmm good!
I should think of other things than food!!!
PET PEEVE...for the mailman to make sure the door of my mailbox is closed tightly after he opens it! I have gone out to find wet mail many times! I put a note on it, but the rain washed it off!
FAVORITE...I enjoyed living in the Florida Keys most of my young life, but I'm so glad to not be there anymore when the hurricanes come through (especially living in tied down trailors!)
MOVIE...I watched "Grease" the other day. It was cute to see it again!
CURIOUS...about if I can get going again since I retired!
PLANS...volunteering tomorrow, getting my hair done Friday (Yea, Melita's back from vacation!!!) Sound booth on Sunday.

Beautiful pictures of lakes and skies!
Love to you and yours,
Susan

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Again Bonnie,
Have missed you sweet friend.
these pics are absolutely gorgeous,
and always enjoy your daybook.

That was wonderful you got to spend 5 days with your friend, now that is some serious girl time.

Always so great to see old friends, it is like you have never been apart, with some of them. Wonderful!

We are alive and well over here.
Jim is loving his new job, and feeling like a part of the team now. Such a blessing..........
Don't know if you have read back when I said it but they are letting him work at home on Wednesdays, so
that has been nice.
I am just keeping the home fires burning and keeping busy......
Take Care hon,
Love ya, Nellie
Be sure to check for the winner of my drawing tomorrow night, just in case it happens to be YOU!! lol

LA Adams said...

Hey I'll never leave you! Gorgeous pictures - some even look a little familiar. My brother lived out in Rush Valley and we'd travel through Grantsville or Toelle on our way there.
Thanks for the adversity post - it's good to be reminded when we "sitting too long under the juniper tree".

Marie Rayner said...

Oh gosh Bonnie a freat daybook as always and such beautiful pictures. I am so amazed by all the beauty that God gives us each day. His world is a beautiful place and I cannot imagine how much more beautiful it will be in years to come! xxoo