Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Simple Woman's Day Book~January 2, 2012

Taking a Moment to Contemplate the Journey!

Just For Today...Monday, January 2,2012
Our lives pass swiftly by!
I want to do something to remember
the everyday moments and my thoughts. That is what this d
Day Book is all about.

Focusing on the little things that become my life.
One week at a time.

Outside my window...it is 9:20 am and from the triple sliding glass door I am seeing a mix of Easter egg blue sky and silver and white billowy clouds. The temperature is warm, 43 degrees and the breeze is gentle at the moment. The thing about life on an island is that the weather changes faster than a woman's prerogative to do so.

I am thankful for...this opportunity to be on the east coast with James and Laura's family for this length of time. Being able to live life with them has opened my eyes to their life in a way you cannot get without doing it along side someone. Fun experience.

I am reading...genealogy lessons from my teacher. I am trying to get back in the swing of that since I need to start thinking about what classes I want to teach in this new year.

From the Kitchen..We have been trying out Laura's new grill and panini gadget she got for Christmas from Robert. It is really neat and we have had some fun sandwiches lately and a very nice dinner yesterday and so leftovers are the order of the day. Jim also made a big kettle of soup. So I cannot think we will be doing a lot of cooking anymore before we leave on Friday.

I am missing....home and a routine that makes me feel a little more productive. We have been having a lot of fun but meaningful work is important too. A month is a long time to be away from home even with the very best of the best people you want to spend time with, the suitcase take its toll.

I am hearing...Ross playing the piano and the boys chattering with each other. How wonderful that the kids have two boys. They just keep each other going all the time. Never a dull moment.

I am wearing..blue jeans, a rust shirt, a white furry vest and some jewelry that ties it all together. Some great shoes that have made my feet very happy on this vacation. The are made by a company called NAOT and are so comfy. They have been on my feet every single day on this vacation and I bought them in Utah. Absolutely no break in time required. Just slipped them on and walked away. LOVE them. They are a black, Mary Jane style and so they have replaced all the shoes I brought with me. I need to buy a brown pair for sure. Since they go with pants and skirts they are the best and most practical too.

I am quoting..."Never Give Up on Anyone, Miracles Happen Everyday." Anon

Some things that made me happy this past week...watching Lark Rise to Candleford with Laura, pinning a lot of fun things on Pinterest, going to Cape Cod with James for two days. Finding some good bargains after Christmas. Everything closes here for a few months during the winter so they were selling tons of stuff with 75% off tags. Playing with the boys, and just being with them. Talking to Robert via phone and Skype. Getting texts and phone calls from Piper and Julia and wonderful letters from Stephen on our shared family history.

One of my guilty pleasures...scarves. I have gotten some in the last few years and I totally love wearing them. They do keep you so warm. Most of them have come from lovely vacation spots so all have memories attached. I got several new ones this year from Laura and the boys for Christmas.

Pet Peeves...Picasa editing of photos. They need to talk to iPhoto!

I am going...to look for a couple of birthday gifts today while we are in Newport. We are going to a museum there with the boys and doing a little last minute stuff. Tomorrow the boys return to school. :-(

One of my favorite things...the vocabulary of both Spencer and Ross.

An enjoyable movie I have seen lately....well, we haven't seen it yet but will this week. War Horse.

I am curious about....how cell phones have changed our culture so profoundly. More specifically, smart phones. Media has taken over much of life. On the one hand, very neat to have and on the other hand very disturbing. Balance and perspective are the aspects that are challenging and also such a curiosity.

If I could change one thing it would be...all the things I want to put on my New Year's resolution list would be accomplished and a thing of the past by this time next year.

A few plans for the rest of the week..Some genealogy, some blogging hopefully, some creative graphic stuff with Laura, some movies, some running around the island and Massachusetts, putting Christmas to bed for this year, and packing up. :-0

A few photos and thoughts..I gave been trying to post some photos of Laura's very cool house but I am having trouble with the photos so I'll just add a few here.

Kitchen
The dining area off the kitchen.

The hutch use to belong to Laura's
great-grandmother and great-grandfather Ferrera.
She inherited it and painted it red.
I think it looks fantastic in her sunshine
yellow and red kitchen.

Kitchen corner

An artist's rendition of Positano, Italy
that they purchased when they lived in the old country.

The place where I have been writing overlooking the sea!

Part of the Living Room,
so pretty and comfy.

Our cozy spot while we have been here!

There are lot of other cool rooms in this house as well and a full basement that they have converted into a great family room, crafting area and play area for Legos, etc. The house has three bedrooms upstairs and 3 1/2 bathrooms throughout. This is a beautiful home and so spacious. This move was a wise one as their other house here on the island was pretty small with very little storage space. It is my favorite house they have had so far and I know I say that every time they move but it really is a nice one.

The best part is Laura always makes it such an inviting home and I think that gives the kids a real sense of roots no matter where they live. She was a great asset to our design business when we were working together. Simply put; she has the knack for making a house a home in every sense of the word. We are very proud of all she is doing to keep the home fires burning while Robert serves our country.

3 comments:

deila taylor said...

I loved hearing about your day and the photos brought it all into view! Lovely home.

Marie Rayner said...

I loved your daybook as always Bonnie. What a lovely visit you are having with Laura and her family. Rhode Island is a place I have always wanted to visit. What a lovely cosy home they have! I always love to visit my family, but then again I am always happy to be home at the end of it all, because . . . there's just no place like home. Happy New Year and all the best in 2012 to you, Jim and the family! xxoo

sistersusiesays said...

OUTSIDE...It's 3:25 p.m. and 48 degrees!!! Florida?!?! Last night got down below 30, FREEZING! I'm not used to that kind of cold.
THANKFUL...the LORD had a blanket of warmth over the feral cats, especially the youngsters! (28 degree night with wind, no cloud cover!)
READING...Revelation with our ladies Bible class that started up again today! What a time of joy to be with these ladies and studying GOD's WORD together!
KITCHEN...going to make lentle soup from Lucinda's recipe from her, "Mad Hungry" show on Hallmark!
MISSING...warmer weather ALREADY!
HEARING...news about the freeze damage of the citrus farmers not being too bad for this cold front.
WEARING...purple pants and a forest green warm cotton shirt. I know, the colors aren't coordinated
but I'm not going out like this, ha!
QUOTING...Psalm 139:16 "All the days ordained for me were written in Your Book before one of them came to be!"
HAPPY...Working in the church sound booth on New Year's Day, Our ladies Bible group beginning again, the feral cats made it through the freeze, celebrating Jerry's birthday tonight (which happens to be on mom's birthday.)
GUILTY PLEASURE...I made me some chocolate brownies last night. I pour the batter onto a cookie sheet and make one long crunchy cookie! I cut it while it is hot (right out of the oven) then let it cool so it becomes crispy!
PET PEEVE...when sitting in the seat of an end row section of the Orlando Magic Arena and people that keep coming in and out and you have to keep getting up and down!!! The way the seating is arranged, if you were to ever fall over the lower row, it would be like tumbling down a steep mountain! I don't know why "safety issues" don't comply with this danger (especially when they keep going out to get beer!) S-T-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y!
GOING...to get my old carpeting ripped out this month...yeah!
FAVORITE...Morning coffee and no where to have to go!
MOVIE...The new "Mission Impossible" movie. It definitely kept you on the edge of your seat!
CURIOUS...at just how much electronics are invading our privacy and we don't even realize it!
CHANGE...that your body could only keep just so many fat cells and dispel all others!
PLANS...birthday party, Gracie's vet appointment, hair appointment (Friday, yeah after 2 weeks!, I switch from sound to video taping with cameras on Sunday!
All my love to you and yours,
Susan