Monday, August 2, 2010

A Simple Woman's Daybook ~ August 2, 2010

To join in focusing on the simple things and pleasures of your daily life or to read other people's entries, you can click here.

So, For Today...Monday, August 2, 2010

Outside my window...I can see the US flag blowing in the breeze, a nice clean car, and not a soul in sight. It is so peaceful here. It is nearly 6:00 pm and the day is fading into evening. It has been a day of fun. I had my usual friends over this morning for a long awaited reunion. Our weekly time has been peppered with lots of vacations and today everyone was back, at least for today. Oh, I do so love these ladies...they get me through a lot of life with the notion that I can handle whatever is on my plate at the moment with my faith in God and their great friendships. I went out to lunch with another group of decorating friends that I hadn't seen in a long time. That was fun too.

I am thinking...I miss Jim as he is off with the scouts on a high adventure trip. But at the same time I am looking forward to some rest, quiet, and alone time to get things done with nothing else going on. It will be weird but I feel I need it!

I am thankful for...the variety of daily living, always something to look forward to and to keep me on my toes. I am thankful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ that give me a reason to make every day the best I can and a deep hope in a wonderful future filled with purpose and good things.

From the learning room...
all things work together for good to them that love the Lord. And it is that love of the Lord that allows you to know that, to see it and to rejoice in it. You can have that kind of peace in no other way.

I am reading...Moments of Change, a book I received today from my sweet friend, Connie, as a birthday gift, along with the usual sagas I have been working on forever and a day. Thanks, Con, you will be seeing quotes from it on this blog!

From the kitchen...Plenty of food to keep me out of the grocery store for a whole week! Fresh, locally grown and vine-rippened tomatoes from the farmers' market will hold me a long time. I think there is nothing better to eat than a real tomato sandwich on whole wheat bread and a glass of cold milk. Lunch and dinner all week for sure!

I am wondering...why there is never anything good playing at the movies when I have a week that I can go anytime I want?

I am hearing...Have You ever Been In Love, by Celene Dion. I do love this song, one of my all time favorites.

Today if I could change one thing...it would be the wars that continue to threaten the entire earth day in and day out, year in and year out. Will man ever learn to live in peace and harmony? It seems quite doubtful when you take a little glimpse into the history of the planet. Mankind hasn't learned much over the centuries. But a girl can always hope and pray.

I am quoting..."Nothing on this earth that we could ever do or achieve will eclipse the value that is already ours today because we are loved and treasured by the greatest One in the whole universe." Louie Giglio, from Moments of Change.

Around the house...things need doing like cleaning out my business papers and client files and storing them in the attic. By doing this I can free up storage space for other things. That is my goal for the week...we'll see how that goes. I am going to also clean out my file cabinets and reorganize that for the coming years. Some of the stuff can be shredded into oblivion. You know how much I love paper clutter..I am going to get it the heck out of my office this week!

I am missing...my thinner self...she is in here somewhere and I am on a quest to rediscover her.

I am hoping...she is not too far gone!

One of my guilty pleasures..putting off until tomorrow what I 'd rather not do today. Ouch...see the previous two responses for a perfect example.

One of my favorite things...the opportunity of beginning again.

An enjoyable movie I have watched lately...Dr Zhivago

I am curious about...how our new, soon to be re-worked, budget will pan out.

A few plans for the rest of the week...office reorganization, dental appointment to get my new crown cemented tomorrow, business phone calls to get better rates on services like the phone...no longer need calling to Italy... YAY! Household stuff that just needs doing. And some fun...I'll dream up something. Blogging catch up for sure...

Here is a picture and thought I am sharing with you...

Golden Gate Park in San Francisco
A few weeks ago and we saw this sign.
We both thought it was pretty funny really.

Then I started to think about the commandments. Some people look at this sign and feel so restricted and wonder what they CAN do here. Each of these activities would disrupt what the garden was created for in the first place, a peaceful and lovely flower garden filled with beauty. Our Father in Heaven gives us the commandments to keep us focused and on the right path. He gives them to us for our good. We should never view them as restrictions but blessings for our safety and protection. He always has our best interest at heart and reasons for what He asks of us. We may not fully understand but, should obey anyway.

1 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

You make me think!
OUTSIDE...John is inspecting my roof (so I can get $200.00 back from my Home Owners Insurance.)
THINKING...about meeting with my teacher friends today for dinner at Chili's.
THANKFUL FOR...Eternity with our Father God, Savior, and Holy Spirit. What joy it will be to see friends there that we can only blog with right now!
LEARNING ROOM...learning patience with the LORD. It's almost like our young children that don't have the patience to WAIT sometimes. So, it is with me with my Heavenly Falther. I think my prayers should be answered right away!
READING...Duet., Psalms, and Matt., all relating to staying true to God's laws and commandments.
KITCHEN... fruit, fruit, and more fruit! Grapes, peaches, mangos, apples! I've gotten onto a fruit kick!
WONDERING...why I went with my neighbor friend to see 2 movies I afterward didn't really enjoy. However, I did enjoy our eat out with BBQ!
HEARING...Gaither Vocal Band singing "Jesus and John Wayne." (you know "The Duke" is my favorite movie star.) The chorus of the song says "I'm somewhere between Jesus and John Wayne." (Salvation and hard work to continue.)
CHANGE...God's WORD says man calls out for, "Peace, peace." But, there is no peace. Only when Christ's foot sets on the Mount of Olives and it splits, will peace come under the Ruler of Peace!
QUOTING..."No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind as conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him!" I Cor. 2:9
AROUND...things I still need to get done before returning to school next Monday.
MISSING...vacation already, when I think of going back for another year in teaching.
HOPING...for a great school year.
PLEASURES...Pecan nut roll from Publix's Bakery.
FAVORITE...not just one, but my 8 pets!
MOVIE...Animal Planet's-Cowboy
CURIOUS...about when my 1st pay check will be...15th or 31st(?)
PLANS...dinner with friends, Dr. appt. (yrly physical, yuk), tying up ends with summer to do things (that didn't get done...yet!)
Blessings to you and yours,
Susie