Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Grandmother's Prayer

Grandmother's Prayer ~
By: Barbara Burrows

Oh Lord, I do not ask for much,
Eternal beauty, or youth, or such.
Just give me a little hand to hold,
And I'll forget that I'm growing old.

I do not ask for cloudless skies,
A life that's free from tears and sighs.
Just give me a little face to kiss,
And anxious moments will turn to bliss.

For what is there, really, that means so much

As little hands that reach and touch,
As little eyes that search and see

Only the best in fragile me?

So let me grow more loving and wise
By looking at life through their brilliant eyes.
For through these little o
nes, you've given
This grateful grandma a glimpse of Heaven.


flickr photos

5 comments:

LA Adams said...

I would really, really like a grandbaby - this is beautiful, amen to Barbara Burrows.

Marie Rayner said...

Just loved this Bonnie! Oh how I wish I lived close enough to my wee ones to be able to hold their hands more often! xxoo

Shelli Snyder said...

Guaranteed my mom cried when she read this. I love you, Mama! :) Thanks for posting this, Bon.

Connie said...

You're right, Shelli, I sure did. :) I absolutely LOVED the poem, Bon. What a way to start the day!

Me-N-Soph said...

Hi Bonnie- I'm going to surprise my mom with this tear jerker. Nothing brightens a grandmothers day like some kind words or a picture scribbnled just for her. Thanks for the inspiration! ^_^