Saturday, October 8, 2011

Is "You Know Who" Still Cheating On You?


Well, now that I have your attention~how are you doing on your goals for personal self- improvement? I think this is the first year in my entire life that I feel that I have set some goals that are really important to me and that I intend to keep forever. I am evolving not just revolving. Evolving includes changing behavior which requires more than just a desire; it involves consistent, long term, effort filled-action. Flash in the pan efforts don't work and neither does perfectionism. If you do not succeed 100% of the time, you don't give up. Never, never, never, give up! Winston and Lanette said so!

When we don't follow through with what we know is right and what we have committed to do we are cheating ourselves. We have all been cheated by others in some fashion and know how painful it feels. Why would we want to do that to ourselves?

When I use to feel battered by the world I would go easy on myself. Well, now I am more committed to myself in a constructive way. I don't let my vision of success slide because someone else has hurt me or forgotten to appreciate me, I've had a bad day or whatever. I try never to let myself slide into complacency, and at the same time I hold a tighter reign on keeping focused. I try to eliminate the negative self-talk and not have an "all or nothing" approach to my strivings. This is a hard one, but if I am focused I do better.

The harder I work the luckier I get, you've heard that one, right? No more kid gloves around this house for me. Just a more realistic approach to getting what I want. Letting go of the perfectionism is a big one, but it has to be done if we are to continue on the uphill climb to where we eventually want to be. I have learned that when I feel stuck on something it is not about who I am, as much as some behavior I am or am not engaging in consistently. Struggling with something does not make you a bad person, it makes you a human being. We all have it, we all have to reckon with it and move onto our newly improved self by...{{{drum roll}}} working at it.

Each new morning is a time to forgive yourself and keep going or begin again in the right direction by small and simple steps. You have to trust that you can do it, whatever you want to do or be. If you are not for yourself in your endeavors, who will be? We do not want to be an oppositional force in our own life.


Too often when we look at the road behind us we see only this, which makes the road ahead look impossible. Why can't we treat ourselves to looking over our shoulder and seeing the path below instead? Thinking of what we have achieved makes the road ahead more doable. Satan wants us to see the former and become discouraged and quit. God's Way is to love ourselves enough to reflect upon our past valiant efforts and many successes and to carry on with His help. He wants us to remember that we are loved and capable and with Him nothing is impossible. We are to forge ahead with a perfect brightness of hope, after all, we are His children.

Oakland Temple Grounds this past week!
Beautiful isn't it?

30 years ago a woman told me she had succeeded at the impossible dream she had because she didn't cheat herself anymore. Why is this a continual aha moment for me? I am a very slow learner in some things. But you are brilliant, so I am passing it along to you in case you may see the wisdom in it at your tender young age! That way you can enjoy your successes longer!

http://zenosfrudakis.com/sculptures/public/Freedom.html

Go After What You Really Want!

"The moment you can visualize being free from the things that hold you back, you have indeed begun to set yourself free."---Unknown but seen on my dear friend's Facebook page! Thanks, Con!

"Spencer W. Kimball once said, "The only limits upon a man are the ones he puts upon himself." The older I get the more I realize this is true! Keep On Keeping On, One Day At A Time.

1 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Another beautiful post Bonnie! You bless my life in countless ways, and most especially with your insights and wonderful words. I love that sculpture! How beautiful! Such talent amazes me! I send much love and many hugs to you, now and every day. xxoo