Monday, February 21, 2011

A Simple Woman's Daybook~February 21, 2011

To join in focusing on the simple things and pleasures of your daily life or to read other people's entries, you can click here.

So, For Today...

Monday, February 21, 2011

Outside my window...The sun is shining, but not brightly. It must be hovering behind a big white fluffy cloud at the moment. It is cool but not freezing like yesterday. Everything looks freshly washed after the rains.

I am thankful for...that God knows us all so intimately and knows our motives for everything we do. He is acquainted with the things we need and wants us to make the choices that will bring those blessings, if they are for our good.

From the learning room...that life is a continual learning process. We are never "there" in terms of what we need to know. To think otherwise proves us foolish!

I am reading...The Sweet By and By. I just ordered it for the Kindle and finished The Glass Castle als0 last night. What an amazing and curious work and a true story. That is the unbelievable part to me. How anything good grows out of a childhood like Jeannette Wall's is inspiring.

From the kitchen...soft tacos tonight for dinner and that always makes Jim happy. Have you ever noticed how food seems to multiply when you put it in a tortilla? I put little bowls of lettuce, onions, tomatoes in the center of the table with some salsa. Warm up some tortillas and add hot refried beans and a little cheese and it feeds us for a few days. It a miracle and reminds me of feeding the five thousand with a few fishes and loaves of bread. (On the smaller less important scale, of course!)

I am wondering...how tired I will be by the weekend with something going on every day and night this week. Not a night out kind of a girl anymore. Actually I never really was. That comes from early rising and being a home body.

I am hearing...
Garth Brooks singing "I Am Much Too Young To Feel This Darn Old." Ha funny! Wondering whatever possessed me to add a country station to my Pandora radio has me curious. I wanted to hear a few Kenny Rogers songs but they have a mix going on here. About time to switch it to my James Taylor or my Kenny Rankin station.

Today if I could change one thing...that I could see all the blessings in my life continually without taking any of them for granted or forgetting to give thanks in each.

I am quoting..."Hurry is the death of any prayer!" Chadwick. I think a lot of them done in haste bounce right off the ceiling. Sincerity and from the heart count, big time.


I am going...to get the house picked up and in order and start cooking soon.

I am missing...mommy/daughter one on one time. I am missing the ease of it, the flow, the comfort, the openness of loving and and being loved unconditionally. And the days when I had that with them and Chris every day. Rarely get time one on one with our son...I deeply miss that too.

One of my guilty pleasures...reading all kinds of books because I know it is not a lazy pass time even though it sometimes feels that way. It is such an enriching and broadening experience to learn from others in this way. It makes you more tolerant of people that are different, it breeds compassion in your heart and understanding.

Pet Peeves...the media that is forever producing alarming reports about the calamities of the world. Case in point... I am really concentrating of getting enough fruits and veggies in my diet and then I read the report out this past week about how many pesticides are in each fruit and vegetable at the market. It is not that I do not want to be informed because I do, but it peeves me that there seems to be a barricade everywhere you turn when you try to do what is right. Solution, grow your own; barricade living with a herd of hungry deer.

One of my favorite things..peace of mind. The ability to truly relax in spite of it all and know that the Lord will watch out for us, if we but ask, because He is our loving Father in Heaven..

An enjoyable movie I have watched lately...The Winds of War with Robert Mitchum and Polly Bergen. It is a mini-series made for TV and well worth the time invested in it. Yay, for Netflix where I first saw it. We are blessed with our own copy of it and War and Remembrance from our sweet kids one Christmas.

I am curious about..how Google does it? Aren't you?

A few plans for the rest of the week...tomorrow WW meeting and work and family history classes, Wednesday morning paint consultation and kitchen remodel planning with a client and friend and then to lunch with her, visiting teaching Wednesday night, Thursday day trip to SF with my brother, his wife and grandies, that night Relief Society Annual enrichment night; classes and light dinner, Friday date night and a movie, Saturday Temple with a good friend and Jim is going to PT Reyes with my brothers if it doesn't rain. If it does he'll come with me. Those are the big rocks in the jar and the rest will be filled in with the sand till it is completely full.

Here are some photos and some thoughts I am sharing with you...


Today I have been surrounded by the herd. Out every window I see them. Seriously it is getting epidemic around here. Every spring all the babies are born and they keep multiplying. I told Jen today they are eating our yard one ivy leaf at a time. They eat the flowers, they even are caught gnawing on the dried flowers near our glider out side the big window in the family room. The doe in the photo from this morning is working her way to them now. See how she is eying them?

Pets for sale or rent.
Free...You Haul!

They are cute but a big nuisance sometimes.
They are bit like goats and gophers if the truth be known.
Don't call the SPCA on me now...just sayin'....








2 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Deer are beautiful creatures but very destructive it is true! I wonder what the humane solution is . . . I loved your daybook as always Bonnie. I had not heard of either of those books and ended up ordering the Glass Castle from Amazon at your suggestion. I was able to read the first few pages in it and I was immediately hooked and wanting to know more! You are such a bad influence! ☺ lol Love you loads. Have a great Tuesday! xxoo

Caroline Craven said...

I have a love/hate relationship with the deer. I love seeing them run through our property in the winter, I hate they know where every tulip on our property is planted! I hate that they love my veggie garden at least as much, if not more, than I do and why do they only eat the veggies and not the weeds? Weeds are nutritious too (at least for them).