Thursday, February 17, 2011

This 'n That and Ressurection In The Kitchen


Good Morning Friends,

I haven't posted for a few days because I have been rather busy. I had the tax appointment yesterday which took some prep yesterday morning as I gathered and organized the last of the documents, condo information on our rental, etc. It was well worth the effort and I am glad that is now done for another year. If you live in our area and need a referral to a great tax person, just let me know. I just love the lady we go to and she has become a friend after a lot of years.

The other thing that has kept me busy is concerns over various things plaguing the kids right now. You already know about Hazie and Connor and Zach being sick. Piper and Chloe also started getting sick. They are all on the mend and for that I am grateful. But I have been worried about Jen and all the stress she has been under.

What I haven't told you about yet is that Laura and Robert are trying to find a home to rent in Rhode Island before he deploys and they had one all lined up that they were just thrilled about and the owner reneged on an offer she made last week. They were going to hold the home for them until June and changed their minds hoping to rent it before then to someone. However, the house has been on the market for over a year and no takers, so we are hoping that things will eventually work out. But they have to now continue searching just in case and Laura is pretty upset about it. They were to sign the rental agreement yesterday and the rug got pulled out from under them. You know how it is, you just want everything to work out for your kids and sometimes it is not in the cards. And sometimes it just requires lots of patience and above all faith. So yesterday was impossible for blogging.

Tuesday we were working and that schedule is pretty much exhausting. 10 hours starting at 1:30 pm to get there, working 8 hours and then driving home arriving at 10:00 pm. I am not a night person, but I am working on it. Combining that with everything being very new and so much to learn and a two hour class every Tuesday night and I was beat. It was so hard to concentrate also as Hazie was very sick that day. I read the other day that stress is not a situation, but a state of mind. So I am just trying to keep it on the bright side in my mind. Things will work out, they always do.

So that was a long way around telling you that I resurrected an old recipe from the 70's for our dinner party on Valentine's Day. I was trying to think of something that would look really pretty on the plate along with steak and baked potatoes oh, and also taste yummy. You know me, decorating comes first. So I remembered this old recipe called "Carrots El Supremo." Doesn't that name even sound like the 70s? LOL!


7 cups of sliced cooked carrots. I like to keep the carrots a little al dente so they are not mushy as they also go in the oven for 30 minutes to heat before serving. Don't you just love how the colors of vegetables turn so brilliant as they begin to cook?

I like to put them in a large bowl to mix all the ingredients and then put them in another bowl for baking. Here I added some sliced green onions and some salt and pepper.

You then mix in a slight cup of mayonnaise that has two heaping tablespoons of horseradish stirred into it. It thins the mayo and I found I did not need the entire cup. I was trying to make it as Weight Watcher friendly as possible and it turned out it is only 3 points for a half of cup, so that was good. You can reduce it more with light mayo but I didn't.

Mix in the sauce and then add 6-7 saltine crushed crackers that have two tablespoons of butter melted and stirred into it. Cover the top with the cracker crumbs and, voila! Done. Heat for 30 minute at 350 degrees. Easy peasy!

We had forgotten how good this recipe is. We have resurrected it, dusted it off, and plan to make it more often. I think it needs an updated name though don't you...any suggestions?

Well, we are heading off for our fun day trip now. Going to Napa in the rain in our cozy car. Should be interesting and fun. Bringing the camera along, of course, so will report in on it later!

Have a wonderful day and try the carrots sometime when you want something pretty, healthy and yummy on your plate!

6 comments:

Julie Harward said...

Sounds like you are busy! I am sorry to hear about your sick grands..mine too and me..there is a nasty virus out there and it hits so fast! I too love this recipe and have made it for years..need to make it more often it is so good! Take care and stay well :D

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Bonnie,
That carrot recipe sounds delicious,
I am gonna have to try it for sure.
Sorry to hear all your grands have been sick, especially Hazie. Is she okay now. Bless Jenn's heart!!

Somehow I missed about Robert being deployed and them moving. where is he going??....I am assuming it is somewhere Laura and the family can't go. Bless her heart too!!
Will be praying for both your girls and their families.
It is so hard to watch your kids go thru stuff isn't it. Heart breaking, gut wrenching......
but then it does turn out fine in the end, but sometimes that end part takes a while!! lol
Hope your Valentine party turned out great, I am sure it did cause I know you are a great hostess!!
Drop by girly..........have missed you.
Love ya, Nellie

Deanna said...

I'm so sorry about Laura and Robert. I can only imagine what they must be going through.

I'm glad all the grands are doing well but do keep us posted on Miss Hazie. Is there anything that I can do for sweet Laura? Please let me know.

Keeping all of you in my prayers.
Deanna

sistersusiesays said...

I surely hope all of the sickness is over with very soon. It is also running through our school. Three different "K" teachers have been out for three days each do to the flu caught from the kids. We have had anywhere from 5 - 8 kids out in each our 7 classes with it!

I love carrots. I can hardly wait to try out your recipe. The only thing is I will probably substitute sour cream for the mayo. I'm not particularly fond of mayo. It looks realy tasty!

Prayers for you and your children to get well,
Susie

laura.elizabeth said...

It has been a rough few days but you what? We are going to be okay. The scripture that keeps running through my mind is, "Trust in the Lord with all thy heart and lean not on thine own understanding." I know he has a plan for us. I have NO idea what it is (and would really like to) but I know it will be okay. We made another offer on the house an additional amount of money each month for 2 years if they will hold it for us. We will see what happens. So, I am concerned but not distraught. I am disappointed but not overcome with fear. Whatever comes will be okay.

Anyway, on a littler note. I love the carrot recipe. I wonder if I could pull it off. Good to know it is only 3 pts too!

Can't wait to see you Napa pictures.

Love you Lots!

Caroline Craven said...

Carrots 'n Crackers???

I can't believe how working so few hours seems to devour all my time. Me thinks I need to re-organize. I always thought I was pretty good at organizing, but I think it applies to things and not my time. Need to work on that. Your menu looked delicious! Yummy, yummy, yummy. Can you email me Timme's email address. I always have stuff to say to her, but don't always have time to call at that moment nor do I think she has all the time in the world. Thanks.