Thursday, November 25, 2010

The One That Got Away!!

Wild Turkey Alert!

I took a little nap on the couch just before our guests were to arrive and when I opened my eyes I saw this turkey out the window. This bird is huge, about the size of a well fed five-year-old kid! Along with the two Obama pardoned to live out their lives at Mt. Vernon on the Potomac, this one got away today too. Happy Turkey Day! Check out how far down the tail is hanging below the branch! We are surrounded with wild like here in the middle of a town with over 125,000 people. It is a little blurry between the telephoto lens on our point and shoot being maxed out and the window screen, but I am quite proud of this photo all in all! LOL!

Check out this post from my friend, Susie, who is an expert on animal and birds!

4 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

I think that is a Turkey VULTURE. If you notice, it has a bald head and neck with no waddle. Regular turkeys have feathers on their heads with waddles on their heads and down their beaks. These vultures do reach huge sizes.
Nice picture!!
Hope your Thanksgiving was great!
Love and hugs,
Susie

Bonnie said...

I am pretty sure it is a turkey vulture, Susan. But what threw us off was the red waddle which cannot be seen in the photo but we could see it?? Anyway just my crazy attempt to be funny since it was on Thanksgiving and our turkey was in the oven!

Hope your T-Day was great!

Caroline Craven said...

Well, that's something you don't see everyday. How funny! It's almost like he is gloating!

laura.elizabeth said...

Crazy and cool! I love that you can be in the city yet surround by nature. That is just the kind of thing I am looking for in a house. Surprising, isn't it?