Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Simple Woman's Daybook~November 1, 2011

Just For Today...Tuesday, November 1, 2011


As my friend Marie's says about writing a daybook post or reading one," It is like sitting down together for a chat over tea."


Outside my window...it is November 1 and today we are excepting 78 degrees in Oakland. Woohoo. Right now it seems a little cloudy but it will burn off. It is one of those days when you need a morning outfit and then something cooler for the afternoon. The minute the sun starts going down it is chilly again. Day Light Savings Time is late this year, it was pitch black at 7:00 this morning. I guess it will be a bit improved for awhile after this coming Saturday's rolling the clocks back.

From the learning room...that for centuries people have sent loved ones off to war and I never had a clue what it was like until Robert left on Sunday. I still don't really, because it is still so new..but it does give one a whole new perspective.

I am reading...Scriptures, Daughters Of Heaven, and lots of genealogy-E-zines. Rereading lots of e-mails from my mentor/teacher and trying to get it all organized and filed appropriately.

From the kitchen...it is time to make some good vegetable soup and hunker down for the coming cooler season. This is a good way to keep weight gain from sneaking up on us during the holiday season. Simple, very healthy eating at home gets my vote. So maybe I'll make a big pot of Jim's favorite tomorrow or Thursday.

I am missing...Robert's big bear hugs already. He left happy to serve us all and do his duty on Sunday. We missed being able to be with him to say good-bye in person and being with Laura and the boys to give the extra added support needed. Any prayers for Laura and Robert, Spencer and Ross would be appreciated over the next 15 months.

I am hearing...Mary Did You Know, Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd. I love this song it doesn't even have to be Christmas to enjoy it.

I am wearing...
brown slacks, a soft pumpkin colored vest and a shirt that has both colors in it with some winter white. Some fun jewelry and no shoes yet. It's the last thing I ever put on before I go anywhere! We are taking Jim's mom out to lunch today for her 85th birthday and then on to work. And I have a meeting in less than an hour so it is my busy day of the week.

I am quoting... The late Pablo Neruda, Chilean poet. His work is amazing. I like this quote because it is so applicable to all those who love easily and often have to dial down their expectations of that love being returned. "Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us. "

Something that made me especially happy this past week...Finding the perfect gift for Jim's mom for her birthday. Always a challenge. Finding an important paper in the Old Newspaper Library at Cal for our friend. A quiet dinner in San Francisco in the middle of a crazy week, many hour to research, learn and write.

I am going...To get back on Weight Watcher's 100% today. Track, track track!

One of my guilty pleasures...Chocolate Zone Bars..perfect with milk for breakfast.

Pet Peeves...tattoos...hate them. Especially on older women. Seriously?


One of my favorite things...
the iPhone. Really one of the best inventions of all time. It saves me so much time and makes all my comings and goings so much more efficient. I rarely use it as a phone but love the camera, music, movies, the texting capabilities and the mini computer. Woohoo!

An enjoyable movie I have watched lately...Oddly enough, The Count of Monte Cristo. I thought it would be such a guy thing but it really wasn't.

I am curious about...how things are going for Robert.

If I could change one thing it would be....that the huge rain storms in Italy October 26 had not destroyed one of the little Cinque Terra Villages and seriously damaged some of the others. What a loss. So glad we have been able to visit it before this happened. It is the death of something so aesthetically beautiful and historic.


A few plans for the rest of the week...work today, tomorrow and Thursday work at home. Thursday night a temple date with my hubby and then Friday? Saturday and Sunday stake conference and our visiting general authority Elder Richard G. Scott.

Here is a video and I am sharing with you as I am thinking about Robert...



http://youtu.be/I0fQd858cRc



Two of the most inspiring Blog Posts I read recently...The questions of Mormons and main stream Christianity is answered very succinctly and well by Delia at Eve Out of the Garden. http://tinyurl.com/3j7m9el I just love this very thought provoking blog, Delia does a great job.

This one by Julie is also fantastic! She writes about the book The Help and the evils of prejudice in our lives. Excellent perspective. http://tinyurl.com/3u6jo67

2 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

We absolutely have Robert and the family in our prayers. I love that song Mary did you know. I especially love the version sung by Kathy Mattea. It is so touching. Loved your daybook as always dear friend. I wish we lived closer! We could diet together. Love and hugs to you and Jim on this cool November morning. xxoo

sistersusiesays said...

OUTSIDE...It is a perfect day! Bright, cool, and some wind!
LEARNING ROOM...I faintly remember when my dad left on 3 month sea duty in the Navy. What is more prominent was when he came back! The joy all the families were feeling as dads, husbands, brothers, uncles, yes even grandfathers returned to their families. Today, we have moms, wives, sisters, aunts, and grandmas returning!!!
READING...we are in Revelation with our women's Bible study. What an importance the first chapter means!! Most people quickly pass over it, not realizing the importance it sets for the whole Book!
KITCHEN...yeah, I tried a recipe I saw on t.v. It had to do with cutting up chunks of different vegetables; coating them in ex. vir. olive oil and different spices (your own choice) and roasting them under the broiler in your oven! Yum yum for the tum tum! I also made a recipe of mom's: Spaghetti and cheese (the good kind of cheese!) Delish!!
MISSING...you missing yours! I will surely keep you all in prayer.
HEARING...a perfect forecast for today's weather from the t.v.
WEARING...shorts and a tee-top! It feels so good to be able to dress sloppy when you want to, ha!
QUOTING..."Be careful of your thoughts-they may become words at any time!" Daily Bread 11/02/11
HAPPY...It definitely was Nellie's reception for DeeAnna and Jerry!
GOING...to listen to our new music director canidate tonight.
GUILTY PLEASURE...I can't leave alone those Frosty's from Wendy's!
PET PEEVE...DITTO!
FAVORITE...I have reached the line of no return when it comes to new electronic gadgets! I would be totally lost with anything but my $15.00 cell phone and my present computer!!!
MOVIE...Still haven't seen RIO!!
CURIOUS...when our country is going to totally collapse; economically, judicially, socially, and sadly of all spiritually!
CHANGE...For man to respect others as he should himself.
PLANS...getting with ASCPA to help collect the ferel cats, neuter, and release them. There are the same 11 cats that have been around for the past 8 months.
JOY-Jesus 1st, others 2nd, yourself last.
Love to you and yours,
Susan