Monday, November 28, 2011

A Simple Woman's Daybook~November 28, 2011

Taking a Moment to Contemplate the Journey!

Just For Today...Monday, November 28, 2011

Our lives pass swiftly by!
I want to do something to remember
the everyday moments and my thoughts.
That is what this daybook is all about.
Focusing on the little things that become my life.
One week at a time.

Outside my window...it is foggy, misty and one of those days that you wish you could just stay by the fire in your jammies all day. Most of the leaves from our big trees have fallen now but still some remain, almost as though they are reluctant to let go of autumn. Can't blame them, I feel the same. Winter comes regardless, putting to bed another year.

From the learning room...we should cling to the things that never change. Hold fast to them and hang on tight for the Mad Hatter's wild ride of living. And we should have the utmost of loyalty to the people who consistently love us over time and distance. The value of that is priceless, as is the gift of it. First friendship, then trust, then love.

I am reading...Team of Rivals about Abe Lincoln, Daughters of Heaven, Scriptures, Internet points of interest.

From the kitchen...It is time to make soup again. I have all the ingredients and just need to go do it sometime today. I have been getting the desire to learn some more about cake decorating. I haven't done that in years. The problem is we do not want to eat the cake. Hmmm..Pinterest is renewing my interest in cooking too. Who knew that could be resurrected?

Someone once said that cooking can be compared to the eggs of our ovaries. Each woman has only so many meals in her and then they are gone. Meal menopause...I use to have that but it may be disappearing. Could it be?
What a hoot. Sure hope that doesn't happen in any other way!

I am missing...the extra month I need to get in the holly, jolly mode of Christmas. But time waits for no man, and along with that; neither does Christmas. We are so looking forward to our lovely New England Christmas and cannot wait to be with our RI kids. Just having that anguish about not being all together for the celebration of Christmas. If money were no object I wish we could buy that house we stayed in for our family reunion where there was a place for everyone to be comfortable and together. I am missing those few times over the years when that was possible.

I am hearing...Michael Buble singing his new Christmas songs. That is the only new music for the season for us this year.

I am wearing...A bedazzled black and silver shirt that has Italian sites on it and some black pants.
And black smart wool socks. Freezing over here. Too much black but it was handy and comfy.

I am quoting... 2 for today..."When your speaks~take good notes." Anon. And from Les Miserables, "To love another is to see the face of God." I that.

Somethings that made me especially happy this past week...a lovely Thanksgiving with family we don't see that often, celebrating Jim's birthday and the first phase of the work shop project getting done in preparation for the spring and pouring the foundation, getting almost all of my shopping done for Christmas before Black Friday, avoiding the crowds and traffic over the four day weekend. We are getting that down to a science. You really can have relaxing, leisurely time outside your home if you know where to go and more importantly when to go.

I am going...try to hold off on cutting my hair myself until next week when I have an appointment. I'm holding off so I don't need to hassle with it during our trip, but it is a trial right now!

One of my guilty pleasures...Listening to Josh Groban singing just about anything. I think he must be an angel. Who gets a gift like that? Only him...Amazing. My new favorite song of his is Awake. I could literally listen to that all day long. Look it up on Youtube because seeing him sing is just a good as listening. His in depth emotional investment is so wonderful.

Pet Peeve...
people that are hot and cold. I thrive on consistency in relationships, must be my insecurities or something but I like to know where I stand. Not in a needy way but in a relaxed and comfortable sort of way.

One of my favorite things...
having the h
ousehold in order...bathrooms, clean clothes, sheets, floors, pantry stocked, bills paid, dinner in the crockpot..just being on top of my game.

An enjoyable movie I have watched lately...An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving.

I am curious about...why if someone is in foreclosure in your neighborhood it should affect the value of your house? How is that fair or right in any way?

If I could change one thing it would be...
that our family could all live on the same block. That someone would knock on our door and it would be one of the kids or grandkids just coming by to hang out with us or for some cookies and milk or to get help with homework or just talk. That would pretty much be heaven to me.

A few plans for the rest of the week...planning for our family get together with my brothers and their families on Sunday and doing all the shopping for that. Getting the very last Christmas gifts ordered today online...cyber Monday after all. Working tomorrow so prepping for that today, WW tomorrow morning, Wednesday visiting teaching hopefully, working on the tables and polishing the silverware for our dinner on Sunday, Friday, morning meeting, night a farewell party for some friends moving to Utah, Saturday cooking, Saturday night we are invited to dinner at Lee and Dave's, Sunday tithing settlement and church and the family dinner. Monday, stay in jammies all day and recover from the crazy busy week. (I wish!)

Some photos and thoughts I'm sharing this week...
On Jim's birthday we took a short day trip for a picnic and landed up at St. Mary's College in Moraga. It is a small, private Catholic college and very pristine and beautiful. He taught graduate students there for about 5 years in classroom and behavior management. The crown jewel of the campus is the chapel. We hit it just right...we were about the only ones there as you will see from the photos. I love days like this.








This is kind of a goofy photo but I just love it. You know the kind...you huddle together and try to take a photo at arm length and it is always just a little short or crooked or something non- professional. They are somewhat reminiscent of the photo booth shots of old.

If you know me, you know I never love my pictures, but this one I do. It seems to capture on my face the exact feeling I was having. Happiness, relaxation, contentment, love of autumn and husband and peacefulness. It was the perfect alchemy of elements and my face captures it here. Never mind that Jim looks a bit like a morphed Stevie Wonder and Jack Nicholson with the head thrown back and the wrap around shades cuz this one is all about me! Oooo, I am so just kidding with ya! It is about him too of course. It is his birthday after all. You already know he's cute but just to make him feel better..here is the birthday boy!


2 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Bonnie, I just love your "Man in Black!" I have enjoyed your daybook as always. How exciting you are going to RI for Christmas! What a wonderful time you will have. I have Michaels new Christmas Album and it is on play here too, at all times! I do love me some Michael Buble as you know! Love and hugs coming your way from the UK. My dad got through the fitting of the pacemaker ok, so that is an answer to prayer. Just waiting now to see what is next. xxoo

sistersusiesays said...

OUTSIDE...it is 56 degrees! Cold for central Florida! There are a few raindrops left over from the front that came through yesterday about 5 p.m. It is suppose to get to the mid to upper 40's tonight!
LEARNING...how true, how true! As I said on my blog, "True friendship isn't what you can get out of it, but what you can contribute to it.
READING...my cousin's e-mail about such things as you mentioned. It's really great to get into thought sharing! You learn things and you contribute things!
KITCHEN...oh, yes it is soup time! Do you have any great recipes? Have you seen the new food processors that also cook soup from the vegetables you chop up in it!
MISSING...keeping to my schedules so I don't miss appointments! Does this happen when you first retire!!
HEARING...the news reporting about it being "unlawful" to keep children from "Santa!!"
WEARING...a comfortable....gown!!
QUOTING..."The poorest man is he whose only wealth is money." Daily Bread 11-27-11
HAPPY...another celebration as we go and celebrate Megan's birthday; picking up my neighbor Alice from the airport.
GOING...to assist a lady in need that was in our ladies Bible study. I will be driving her several hours away to a hospital for an much needed operation. Pray for Debbie, she is bipolar.
GUILTY PLEASURE...creamed spinach! I just heard on t.v. that it is full of chlorestrol! Why is everything that tastes so good, never good for you!!!
PET PEEVE...that the mailman would come in the vicinity of the same time everyday. One day it's at noon. Another day it is at 5:00. Still another day it is 2:00. Now this didn't just start happening (holiday time.) It's been going on for months!
FAVORITE...would be to have a maid that could do all the cleaning (don't we all wish, ha!)
MOVIE...I meant to write the title down and forgot. It was about 2 Jewish men, one was a Rabbi. The story paralleled with a Christian pastor who came from a criminal background. The younger Jewish man wanted to assist his inner city pastor's church that was in dire need of repair. It was a story of reassurance from the Rabbi to his synagogue as well as a story of reassurance from the Christian pastor to his congregation and the young Jewish man. I think it was a true story.
CURIOUS...how American Airlines can claim bankruptsy while still having plenty of money. It was said they were doing this to give them a "better" standing. I thought you had to be totally broke to make this claim!
CHANGE...I could keep up with all the great things I used to keep up with!!
WEEK...pick up meds, pick up Alice from the airport, dining out for Megan's birthday, taking a friend to a hospital a few hours away, getting my hair done on Friday, sound booth on Sunday.

Love to you and yours,
Susan