Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Journey

Blue Bonnets of Texas

I just love this picture taken by my friend, Deanna. It just reminds me of life's journey.

To me it just symbolizes how the road is long and the end is out of sight. It has its bumps and curves and heights to scale. There are places we would like to pass but it is forbidden.

At any point along the way, the place where we are on the road is the biggest and most visible while the road behind and ahead are less distinguishable. This is a blessing if we don't dwell on the bumps we have endured or worry excessively about the ones coming up. Staying in the present, with God's help, we can handle them.

As we go along if we look around and beyond the confines of the road we can see immeasurable beauty surrounds us even at the curves, bumps, hills and things that cannot be passed around, but must be gone through to stay the course to the horizon and beyond.

In the midst of a crisis we have a few choices.  We can just stop.  Stop progressing, stop going places.  We can just sit and wait.  Wait for a rescue, wait for someone else to take care of things.  If there is an accident we can easily blame someone else even though it was our fault.  If we are traveling the road alone, it's our word against theirs.

We can see a traveler along the road in trouble.  We can stop to help or drive right by rationalizing why we could not make the sacrifice to serve.  Or we can how dumb coming our here in the middle of the bluebells without enough gas.  Or thinking something like,  ou must have done something stupid like excessive speeding for that to happen.  Again exonerating ourselves for any need to inquire.

Or even worse we can be so self-absorbed that we cannot even see the need.  So caught up in our own problems and our own innocence that we cannot even see another's pain.

5 comments:

Connie said...

My Bonbon, you are truly gifted. I love how you say things, and I love how you can find the deeper meanings all around us. You are an inspiration, and I'm so glad I get to share my journey with you!

Julie said...

Thank you for sharing. It was a nice reminder.

Deanna said...

You are so right Bonnie. I love what you wrote and if I had not gone down that unknown road I would not have found you and Laura. What blessings you both are to my day. I find so much happiness with your writings and with Laura's wit..both her and Brandon!

Bluebonnets lead to blessings.

Deanna :)

Bonnie said...

I know what you mean, Deanna! I have a thing for Brandon, we have a lot of fun commenting back and forth with each other. I'm so sad he didn't become the new president for change. I missed my big chance at going to the white House with them.
And if it wasn't for Laura, we wouldn't have our little grand daughter, Chloe! She arranged her adoption along with others of our good friends.

laura.elizabeth said...

I love this- thanks Mom! It is a great visual and a perfect reminder that life really is a journey and it is up to us to enjoy it!