Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Got Zucchini Coming Outta Your Ears Yet?

Yes, it is me, you have the right channel...I am giving you a recipe today! Once that zuchinni starts in it it unrelenting isn't it? How much zucchini bread can you really use anyway? So try this...you won't be sorry! This recipe comes from the old country and it is fabulous!

They Grow Faster Than Weeds!

Zucchini Pancakes were a staple at Jim's Grandmother's house in the summer. They are easy and delicious and if you freeze them, when you are actually missing zucchini again, you can have these.

Grate 2 Cups of Zucchini and squeeze out the water by taking a handful and pressing your hands together as hard as you can. It will actually be full of water that you want to get rid of by squeezing it before adding it into the recipe.

Yum!

1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1/3 Cup Bisquick OR 1/3 Cup flour with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 cloves of garlic minced
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 Basil leaves chopped finely
2 eggs beaten
Salt to taste

Mix all ingredients except zucchini. The batter will be dry~ add in the water-free Zucchini a little bit at a time, mixing well. Drop by Tablespoon into hot oil, brown on both sides like a pancake. I usually double or triple the recipe and then make a bunch of them. You can freeze what is left over in layers with plastic wrap separating them.

Gram always had a stack of these made up and in the freezer for a wonderful addition to just about any dinner.

Jim's grandmother was one of the best Italian cooks ever born. She could turn any vegetable into a dream. One time she cooked iceberg lettuce and with her magic touch it was delicious! Her French Endive was pure heaven, I wish I had her recipe!


She would also take the delicate zucchini flowers
and bread them and lightly fry them
~
they were amazing!~

7 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

Do you put maple surup on these zucchini pancakes, or is this flat bread?

Susie

sistersusiesays said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bonnie said...

No syrup, Susie! These are savory not sweet. They are like a veggie side dish!

Julie Harward said...

These look so yummy, thanks for sharing. On the salad...no blender..just stir it up, it's a smooth nice salad. :D

Marie Rayner said...

Those look incredibly yummy Bonnie! One can never have too many zucchini recipes! They come in incredibly handy when the little dears start to come in one after another!

Caroline Craven said...

I finally learned to only plant one zucchini and that is plenty for our family that is now whittled down to four, and Kent doesn't like zucchini. He may try this though, it looks so good. And of course, fried - what could be better? If it were doughnut shaped, for sure he would scarf it down. LOL!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

MORNING SWEETIE,
YES, I KNOW THAT FEELING OF PANIC OVER THE FOOD!! I AM LIKE THAT WHENEVER WE HAVE A BIG EVENT LIKE GRADUATIONS, ETC.- YOU FEEL LIKE THERE WOULD BE NOTHING WORSE THAN RUNNING OUT OF FOOD. SO I JUST DO THE BEST I CAN TO ESTIMATE, THEN I REMEMBER JESUS FED 5,OOO WITH JUST
5 LOAVES AND 2 FISH, SO I BEG HIM TO PLEASE STRETCH OUR FOOD SO THERE WILL BE PLENTY, AND HE HAS NEVER FAILED YET, I AM ALWAYS AMAZED BY HOW MUCH IS LEFTOVER AND USUALLY I AM TRYING TO SEND IT HOME WITH PEOPLE TO GET RID OF IT!! LOL
BY THE WAY, WHAT IS TRI-TIP?? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT??

WILL BE PRAYING FOR A WONDERFUL DAY TOMORROW FOR YOU BOTH, AND THAT YOU WANT BE TOO TIRED OR TOO BUSY TAKING CARE OF EVERYONE, SO YOU CAN ENJOY IT TOO!!

OUR CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OF YOU ON THIS HALLMARK OCCASION - AND MAY YOU HAVE A TRULY AND SIMPLY WONDERFUL TRANSISTION INTO THIS NEW LIFESTYLE!! WE ARE PRACTICING UP DURING THESE TIMES OF LAYOFF!! LOL

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR WELL WISHES FOR US, YOU ARE A TRUE FRIEND BONNIE!!

THOSE ZUCCHINI PANCAKES LOOK AWESOME, AND ARE DEFINITELY GONNA FIND THEIR WAY TO OUR TABLE. HONESTLY, I AM NOT CRAZY ABOUT ZUCCHINI UNLESS IT IS ZUCCHINI BREAD, SO THAT IS A GREAT WAY TO GET THOSE VEGGIES. I USED TO HAVE A ZUCCHINI/HAMBURGER CASSEROLE YEARS AGO THAT I REALLY LIKED BUT SOMEHOW LOST THE RECIPE. THINK NOW THAT I REMEMBERED IT I WILL LOOK ONLINE AND SEE IF I CAN FIND IT. I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW WAYS TO TO EAT VEGGIES.
SO THANKS FOR THE RECIPE.

WELL, YOU HAVE A DELIGHTFULLY ENCHANTING RETIREMENT EVENING!!
I AM SURE JIM REALLY APPRECIATES WHAT YOU ARE DOING IN HIS HONOR!!

THEN REST BABY REST! WISH I LIVED NEAR YOU THEN WE COULD HANG OUT AND TALK WHY WE DO NOTHING AT ALL!!

BLESSINGS TO YOU CHERISHED FRIEND!!
LOVE YA, NELLIE