Friday, April 3, 2009

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Easter!

Just kidding! Actually I don't have too many Easter decorations to begin with and I have very little out this year. But something really weird happened ...a tiny wave of craftiness hit me. I am not into crafts and I rarely like anything I make in that department but... I did decide to create...or I should say, embellish a couple of things I picked up for a song this year.
I found this little critter cage for $5.99 at TJ Maxx...it was empty. I thought it was cute so decided to add some lime green moss, a little peep I had and a few eggs. That is about the extent of my craftiness...impressive, huh?

Yesterday I went to this very cool shop with some business associates. You are all gonna want my job when I tell you that we met to go shopping (for the businesses of course) and then we toured a home one of the ladies had just beautifully staged and then found ourselves having lunch. It was a rough day at work but I managed! While shopping I found this cute bird cage for $19.99. It was empty so since I had some moss left and a cute little nest and some eggs I did this. Wouldn't "The Nester" just be green with envy?

I told you I am not much of a crafter, but I can put things together and this was fun, fast, and finished in a flash! My kind of craftiness. The eggs below are some that I have made and or purchased over the years. I love the little chicken wire basket that holds them.

Wouldn't it be fun if you could save eggs your kids decorate when they are little that aren't hand blown and so fragile? Wouldn't it be neater if your little kids could even hold and decorate a blown out egg without cracking it?

Once while decorating eggs with my friend, Lee, I discovered that you can. Did you know that you can hard boil and decorate eggs that will last forever a long long time? If they don't have any cracks they will be just fine for years to come. I always thought they would start smelling rotten, but nope. All that happens is that the egg inside dehydrates and shrinks and they are like a little rattle over time. Think plastic egg with a small chocolate egg in it. The first few years I would leave them out but hidden for a few months to make sure they were not rotten before storing them away. I have never had a problem and neither has Lee and she still has some that her mother painted for her when she was a little girl. Try it, it is eggciting.

The eggs that you see with the patterns on them are done with hard boiled eggs and spring tissue papers. You just tear some pieces dip them in liquid starch (or maybe Modge Podge) and press them on the egg and dry. Our daughter, Jen, taught me this little trick ten years ago when we were in Scotland she made them for Piper's first Easter. I fell in love with them but they were the blown eggs so would not transport easily. Finally I just made some of my own. Again, my kinda thing. They really are pretty cute for the effort that goes into them.

Well, I hate to put all my eggs in one basket but this is probably the only crafting post you will ever see from this chick!

Happy Easter!
I gotta go feed my carrot!

7 comments:

Jen Stewart said...

wow! very crafty! you're reminding me of the Nester!

Lanette - Never Give Up! said...

Love it!! Wish I were one of those friends who did lunch! You are awakening the inner crafter - perhaps it left me and wandered over to your house....There's not an egg in sight over here - I'm thinking grandbabies might inspire me again someday!

Deanna said...

Hi my Birthday twin! I love the idea of the cages. I would have never thought of that. I took pictures of my dining room table today and Marshall says I'm turning into a "Professional Amateur Photographer"..I was staging. LOL! I'm going to wait until the next Pink Saturday week to post them.

Wow, to the eggs! So you can keep the boiled egg one's..if they aren't cracked huh? I'll try it then because I have a lot of cute tissue paper with designs on them and I think it would be neat to have an egg collection.

I'm sitting here with ribbons, eggs, glitter and greenery all over the place as I'm trying to make an Easter wreath. I know it's going to come out crappy with hot glue strings all over the place but it's my creation and I guess it can look like crap! hee hee hee!

I'll shoot you a photo of it when I get done. Hopefully Tuesday night!

Love ya,
Deanna :D

Deanna said...

Mr. Carrot scares me. Plus he's holding the bunnies by their itty bitty ears...OUCH!

Deanna (giggles)

Marie Rayner said...

Great post Bonnie! Loved all the tongue in cheek wittiness included as well. You sure have some lovely easter decorations!

laura.elizabeth said...

Mom I adore that new bird cage! Seriously, it is tall and skinny and I love tall skinny things! So cute. I love you egg collection too. It has been ages since I have been to your house for easter (you are always at mine it seems) and I have never seen that collection before. How cool!

Faye said...

I have not broken out the Easter decorations in at least 3 years - but your blog post inspired me - I'm glad I haven't pitched everything - perhaps next year I will follow your lead. I thought you had to have kids around to appreciate the decorations - maybe not. Thanks for sharing!