Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Happy Hubby

A little faux treat I made in my cabinet.
One thing a home stager has is
plenty of faux food!


I think I am really going to enjoy having Jim home more. He is just so happy working out in the yard and he is really overjoyed about closing down our warehouse as he gets all the shelving for his things. He has plans to build a workshop one day and then he'll have plenty of room for his man stuff. Yay! In the meantime he is fixing up an old cottage we have in the back with the shelves and he is excited. In its day it was quite the cute little bunkhouse but now it is on its last leg and ready for a redo. But we are not going there at this point! It will be fine for storage.
Someday I'll have to take you on a guided tour outside on the property. It is a fun place to be.

Jim is such a productive, happy person. He has inspired me to get a lot done this week here at home. We are even having so much fun we canceled our date to the city for tomorrow so we can stay home and keep at it. We (mostly he) have just accomplished so much this week. Spring cleaning is almost done and the stuff in the yard is getting either thrown out or organized after being out there for nearly a year during the construction phase. I feel the burdens lifting as we get things back in order. Yay...I love order. And we have decluttered considerably as well. I got rid of so much junk in my china cabinets.

Honestly, how does it jump in there? I am not kidding I didn't even recognize some of it. Like it reproduces in there or something! I think I'll add some photos of that now that they are all redone. Maybe I'll even give you a peek into my butler's pantry that Jim built for me out of an old coat closet a few years ago.

Here it is. You can barely see it but it
has a
glass door on it that is original to the home.
Here you can see our Christmas dishes,
the china we bought when I went back to work
after Laura started school,
and my grandmother's dishes on the bottom.
Click, click for a better view.

This curio cabinet is where we
keep our glasses and stemware.
I love this cabinet because the door is
curved glass.

So they look like this after I purged through them. Yikes. Anyway, at least now they are all dusted and cleaned and orderly again. Because our house is not huge I have to be really careful about keeping things in order or the chaos is crazy making. When it is in order it makes me want to actually have some company over soon. The butler's pantry is very convenient for large gatherings as we don't have to dig through everything to find what we need.

We just don't realize how much stuff can over burden us. I think we all function better with a house of order. I know I can feel the difference, in a physical way, with every little corner than is getting cleaner and refreshed and becoming the way it should be. I never could function in chaos, but the older I get the more I need the order and peace. I love changing the seasons with the decor and just lightening up for the months ahead.

Tomorrow I am attaching the library bookshelves. Ugh, but I know it will look so much better. Why are bookshelves just little junk catchers?

So then, about retirement...I just love the synergy of two~so far, so good~ projecting into the future of twice as much husband and a little less money and all is well ! We have reached that time in life where more time=more wealth in the things money cannot buy. It is a nice place to be, I am liking it a lot already.

5 comments:

margaret said...

I paid a man to come and take away dozens of bags and boxes from my house and it's amazing what I'm still taking with me :(

And yayyyyyy to a tour of your property. I love all your glassware and china (btw, my Auntie Cassie thought that butter knives and sugar spoons reproduced so perhaps crockery does too) but I think I'd love your outdoors more.

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie said...

Margaret, I will do that tour of the outside fairly soon but first we have some stuff to do. Jim is having his work retirement party here so that is big motivation to get things back together and I want to get some flowers planted soon too.

I'd love to see some photos of Edinburgh too. And your new place. Happy moving when the time is right!

sistersusiesays said...

Between you and Nellie, you are getting me into the mood of doing some pretty things with my china cabinet. I have some glasses my grandmother got out of a box of soap powder (they are about 85 years old.) They are very delicate. I'm surprised they haven't been broken over the years! This weekend I'll probably give it a try!
Blessings to you and yours,
Susie

LA Adams said...

Nothing better than having a spouse as a good friend! It's great to hear how you build each other up. Life is good.