Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Outsourcing and Consumerism


Do you ever worry about all the outsourcing our nation does for all the products we consume? I do! There are several things that worry me about it and the first is that it is taking away desperately needed jobs from Americans. Adding to that all the illegals that are doing work under the table and undercutting the fees of trained workers, is it any wonder that our economy is suffering?

An even bigger concern of mine is that people are not learning the skills they need as we out source manufacturing, etc. How can we be an independent country when we are dependent on everyone else and not self-sufficient in filling our own our wants and needs? We have a country full of unskilled workers and now we are almost completely dependent on imports.

Why are we having to buy produce from Mexico? Is it any wonder we were counseled by our church leaders to grow gardens and become proficient in it 35 years ago? Why are so many products we use everyday not made here? Of course the answer is always the same...MONEY. I thought this e-mail was very good so decided to include it in a post today. I have no idea who wrote this but it contains a lot of food for thought.

One Light Bulb at a Time
A physics teacher in high school, once told the
students that while one grasshopper on the railroad tracks wouldn't
slow a train very much, a billion of them would. With that thought
in mind, read the following, obviously written by a good American.


Good idea .. . . one light bulb at a time . . . .
Check this out . I can verify this because I was in Lowes the other day for
some reason and just for the heck of it I was looking at the hose
attachments . They were all made in China . The next day I was in Ace
Hardware and just for the heck of it I checked the hose
attachments there. They were made in USA .

Start looking ...
In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects
someone else - even their job . So, after reading this email,
I think this
lady is on the right track .
Let's get behind her!

My grandson likes Hershey's candy ..
I noticed, though, that it is marked

made in Mexico.
Now I do not buy it any more.


My favorite toothpaste Colgate is made in Mexico
... now
I have switched to Crest.
You have to read the labels on everything ..


This past weekend I was at Kroger.
I needed 60 W light bulbs and Bounce dryer sheets .
I was
in the light bulb aisle,
and right next to the GE brand
I normally buy was an off-brand
labeled, "Everyday Value . "
I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats -

they were the same except for the price ..
The GE bulbs were more money than
the Everyday Value brand but the

thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE
was made in MEXICO

and the Everyday Value brand was made in -
get ready for this - the USA at

a company in Cleveland , Ohio.

So throw out the myth that you cannot
find products you use every day that

are made right here ..

So on to another aisle - Bounce Dryer Sheets . .. . yep, you guessed it,
Bounce cost more money and is made in Canada . The Everyday Value
brand was less money and MADE IN THE USA ! I did laundry yesterday
and the dryer sheets performed just like the Bounce Free I have been using
for years and at almost half the price!
My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for
everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA- the
job you save may be your own or your neighbors!
If you accept the challenge, pass this information on to others
we can all start buying American, one light bulb at a time!
We can start by paying attention and eventually stop buying
from overseas companies!
(We should have awakened a decade ago .. . .. . . . )
Let's get with the program . . . ..
help our fellow Americans keep their jobs and
create more jobs here in the U . S . A ...

I personally get really annoyed with having to take the time to do this but I am starting to and it is quite revealing. It seems you have to be aware of everything and an expert in all endeavors to keep on top of things day to day. I long for a world where things can just be more simple, done well and right and with everyone's best interest at heart. Sigh... I know...dream on, Bonbon...just read the labels and buy American!! OK then, I am on it.

And here are some beautiful Azaleas from Japan. We can enjoy them without buying them...right? The flowers have nothing to do with this post except that they are beautiful and reduce my stress over political, social and economic things.

3 comments:

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Wooo Hooo! You are ON THE MONEY on this one. And, no, I haven't been reading labels I so ashamed to say. My dad was SUCH a stickler on this (He's been gone 32 years, so I guess that would make him a pioneer?). He checked the labels on EVERY single thing he bought. All of his co-workers knew he had a big thing for keeping America working and decided to make him crazy one day. He drove an American car, but they made a big label and attached it on the back that said "Made in Japan"....He didn't see it and drove all the way home from work with it on his car. He had a fabulous sense of humor, so he loved the joke. And, if my Mum bought him a shirt made anywhere but the USA she had to cut the tag out or he wouldn't wear it.

I'm going right on back to checking the labels. You're so right. Especially in these tough financial times.

Oh, and light bulbs? I try no NEVER buy GE....

Big hugs!
Spencer

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Honey, I am so with you on this!!
I read that quite some time ago and I started doing the same, unfortunately, crest toothpaste is now made in mexico too, so I bought Aquafresh I think it is. Some items say they are distributed in the U.S, which leads me to believe people are checking labels and not buying, so now they are not saying where it is made, just distributed. These labels make me so angry. They pretty much can say whatever they want to, and you just really don't know what is in it or where it is made. Very Frustrating to say the least!!
Hubby says that the new curly bulbs are all made in china, and they are working to get rid of the regular bulbs, so what happens if China just decides not to sell us
bulbs anymore. Ya got me!!
Sometimes I really believe no one is running our country anymore, at least no one with sense it seems.
Course, I know there are a few but they just seem so far and in between. Sad!
Thank God He is in control!! or we
could all lose our minds.
Have a good evening, I am stepping off my soapbox now!! lol
Love ya, Nellie
And thanks for leaving that nice long message today, I love those
nice long chatty comments from you, no coma here, I thrive on that!! lol

margaret said...

It's the same here in Britain - if you're not careful everything is foreign and I don't mean EU because all of Europe is in the same boat buying in frantically from China and Tawain mostly. I always buy British if I can except for a handful of things - English wine is disgusting (really), Somerset brie is tasteless compared to French and olive oil must be Greek (I hate to think what English olives would produce - and, imagine this, Italy itself imports olive oil from Greece!)You are so lucky in the US to have California and its orchards and veg growers.