Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Your Legacy

I recently started teaching another class in family history and genealogy and whenever you start to think about your ancestors you realize how much they have directly or indirectly influenced your life and who you are. It made me think of this beautiful song I posted in the fall of last year called Legacy and thought we'd revisit it again today. I am publishing some of my older posts to save a little time while getting organized and starting some other major projects this month, and preparing for weekend guests. Hope you don't mind. Love, B

Leaving A Legacy


I just wanted to share something I found on Blissfully Domestic today that I thought was so beautiful. This is a song by Nicole Nordeman and I had never heard of her before but it will be a long time before I forget her.


It is one of those songs that really touched my heart and brought to the forefront something that must have been roosting there for quite sometime. Does music ever do that to you? Did you click on it and take a few minutes to really listen? One of the things I love about the Blissfully Domestic Magazine is how versatile and varied the posts really are. Each channel has so much to offer. I found this on the Inspired Bliss Channel of the blog.

The Ones

I like to think about the legacy I am leaving for my posterity. How will I be remembered when I am gone? It helps me to want to be better, to improve in all areas of my life and to never give up trying to find God's will for me. I like to think about what I can leave behind to uplift them and help them and support them. It makes me think a lot about what my own parents left me and what I wish they had left me, that they didn't. One of those things is a family history and that is part of why I love blogging so much. When I want to talk with my parents and can't ~ it makes me want to leave my experiences and my love and the things I learned from my mistakes as well as my successes behind for them. And most of all, I want them to know of my testimony of the Gospel Jesus Christ and its sustaining influence in my life. I want them to know and remember the things that mattered most in our lives, weren't things at all.

When I long to hear my mother's voice...I wish I had her thoughts in writing. It would be something amazing to hold on to~and when I just can't find an answer, I'd love to read through Dad's life experiences for help~so I do it for our own kids and grandkids in hopes that it will one day bring comfort to them.

What legacy do you wish to leave for your posterity? I believe that will be the inheritance that truly matters most, when you are gone.

Song Lyrics

Nichole Nordeman \ Legacy

"I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one..."

*First photo by flickr

1 comments:

Deanna said...

Thank you for sharing that Bonnie. Your words here can be a warm shawl for them when they think of you...(and you won't be gone for a loooooooooooooooog time)and when they wonder what you were doing or thinking on a certain day. If I remember correctly, Selena's (Apron Thrift Girl)husband had her blog printed and made into a book. I thought that was such an incredible gift. I'll go and find that post and send you the link.

That song is so beautiful. I have to let my sister listen to it.

Hugs,
Deanna :)