Sunday, January 25, 2009

Paradigms

~Pair a Dimes~
Sorry But I Just Need Visuals
(corny, I know)

Because of some miraculous things have been happening to me in my personal growth and development I have been thinking a lot about exactly how much impact our mind has on what we can accomplish. Truer words have never been spoken than, "If you think you can or you think you can't, you are always right!

Paradigms are sometimes equated with maps. Maps show us how to get where we want to go. If the map is outdated it can lead us astray. In the same way if we just get our minds set on something and never seek new information or if we never evaluate another way of looking at something we may never find our way. By the same token, if we never think that we could actually be wrong about something, how can we change something and move on? To be humble is to be teachable. Even if you are gaining the knowledge but never acting on it, it doesn't help much. When what you know and what you do are two different things, how can there be peace of mind?

We all operate under the influence of our paradigms or ways of thinking about things. Simply stated a paradigm switch is just changing your mind about something. This is a woman's prerogative, right? Not to leave you guys out, of course the same is true for you. Sometimes when our paradigms results in narrow-minded thinking we can really cramp our own style in our progression.


Well, that is what happened to me and I stuck with my paradigm like super glue for 30 years, thinking and truly believing with all of my heart and soul that I was incapable of doing something that I truly wanted and needed to do. Within the past month I have had a complete paradigm switch with the help of God. I am not only able to do the thing I wanted to do so badly, but shockingly, I am getting better at it everyday. The thing hasn't changed one bit but my ability to do it has increased 100% in 30 days. When you want something bad enough your can figure out a way to get it. It just may be that you will need to change your thinking first and let your spirit and your mind work together to lead you to a new place.

This one experience has led me to know that I can do whatever I want to do in this life and be successful if I just do my part. It is funny how you hear something all your life and then one day as you actually experience it, it clicks and becomes real. And that one paradigm switch has truly changed my life. It makes me feel like dancing!

Dancing
Painting by my cousin, William F. Reese
Used with permission

2 comments:

Deanna said...

That's what it is...it's got to click and then it becomes real. It's clicked in for us.

Wonderful post Bonnie. I just read it to my husband.

I love your cousin's painting of the dancing ladies in their Vestido de Chiapas.

Deanna :)

Connie said...

I'm so proud of you, Bon! And so happy for you, too. You are an inspiration to me and I love you!