Sunday, January 18, 2009

Jimbob's Zuppa!


OK, today we once again made "The Soup." Some of you don't know my hubby so let me explain. He is is the most disciplined man on the planet. He used to have a weight issue about 25 years ago. One day he decided he would be fit and healthy...he did it...end of story. He decided he should run or bike everyday so he does. You get the picture. This is a life style few can duplicate. It is kind of scary amazing!

Well, anyway he loves this soup recipe I made up and so he wants to eat it all the time. I mean like five time a week! So today we made it again for the billionth time and I am going to share this recipe. It is actually very good, it is just that I am personally so sick to death of it. But it makes him happy so I do it for him.

It actually started out as the Weight Watcher cabbage soup recipe but I have changed it quite a bit now. When I make it I make a large pot full and then I just keep it in our 2nd frig outside. It is actually very convenient and I love not having to dream up something new daily. In these economic times it is also very inexpensive to make and eat. It lasts a long time for just two people. It is filling and nutritious and you can always add meat if you want to do that as well. If there are veggies you don't like or ones you do~use whatever. I am easy. I'll just tell you how I make the magic zuppa that makes him so happy! Then you just do your own thing.

I also will freeze it sometimes into individual evening meals for two and that is great in a gallon size Ziplock plastic bag. I lay them flat in the freezer to freeze them and then they store easily too. Often I will make a salad with it and then just have a WW frozen dinner or something else while Jim eats his soup just so I can use a fork for a change. I also buy baguettes and cut them up and freeze them too so then I can just pull out a couple of pieces of bread at a time. That way I am not as tempted to eat a bunch of bread. He just says he won't and doesn't! If only I could be more like him! But that is a story for another day.


Ok, then the moment you have all been waiting for....the secret recipe.

1 large can (64 oz?) Swanson's Fat Free Chicken broth
2 cans of dice tomatoes
2 cans of refried beans (these just blend in and thicken the soup and add protein.)
1/2 to 2/3 bottle of taco sauce (If I don't have that I use ketchup and some taco seasoning)

1 leek or some chopped onion (at least one big one)
1 box of sliced mushrooms
1 bag of shredded carrots
1/4 cup of lentils
1/4 cup of barley
diced green or red pepper
2 zucchini and 2 yellow squash sliced medium thickness. Not too thin as it will be too soggy.
Sometimes I put in one can of corn or string beans
A bunch of minced garlic
Napa cabbage. I shred about three fourths of a big head of cabbage. I actually look for a smallish one but sometimes they are huge.
Salt and pepper to taste.

The first thing I do is put a little olive oil in the big pan (I use my big stock pot) and saute the garlic. I buy those little jars of minced garlic and I put in two heaping teaspoons. We love garlic over here. This makes a huge pot of soup so adjust it according to what you like. Same with the taco sauce if you like hot or medium use that. I use mild. Nothing is really exact I am not really a person who uses recipes much when I cook. I often start with one but seem to come up with variations of it as I go along. I just go by instinct. Like I don't really measure the lentils and barley I just pour them into my cupped hand. Lazy and not very scientific, but it works.

When the garlic is sauteed add the broth and the beans and the tomatoes and blend together well and that is the stock base of the soup. Then I just add all the veggies and put the cabbage on top. It will seem very thick but it thins down some after cooking. I bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for about 45 minutes.

I will take a close-up photo tomorrow right before dinner so you can see what it looks like. I like to serve it with a little Asiago, Parmesan or cheddar cheese on top.

The soup is very hearty and if we are what we eat, than just call this recipe "JIM!"

4 comments:

Deanna said...

Jim just might be my long lost brother! I can eat soup everyday. Any kind..doesn't matter. I have my two large pots on the stove right now. I'm making your soup and a chicken vegetable soup with an oriental twist. I can't wait to have lunch tomorrow! I just ate supper and I'm already thinking about what I'm going to eat tomorrow!!!

Thank you for the recipe! Right now I'm eating a delicious cucumber with lemon juice squeezed over it. So much better than a chocolate moon pie...well, almost. LOL

Hugs,
Deanna :)

Neabear said...

http://www.bloggerbuster.com/2008/12/simple-snow-effect-widget-for-blogger.html

Here is that link to the snow on my blog that you asked about. Sorry I took so long to get back to you on that.

That soup sounds great. There are a few things I would not put in like mushrooms because I don't like them. But like you said, you put in what you like. I have a Spanish Rice soup recipe that I make. I always make it a day ahead. It takes so much better to eat it the next day when the flavors have melded together. Melded? I don't know if that is the right word. I hope you know what I mean. LOL!

mandy* said...

I'm going to the store tonight so I can make the soup tomorrow. I've been in such a "soupy" mood lately so this couldn't have come at a better time.

P.S. I'm like Jim. If I find something I love, then I can eat it everyday (sometimes every meal!!).

Sally said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing this! I am doing WW, so how many points is it? :)