Monday, March 1, 2010

A Simple Woman's Daybook~March 1, 2010

To join in focusing on the simple things and pleasures of your daily life or to read other people's entries, you can click here.


So, For Today...Monday, March 1, 2010

Outside my window...it is overcast and looks like rain is coming soon. It is after 3:00 pm and I am just now getting to this. One of those days where the best laid plans...just didn't pan out as I thought they would.

I am thinking...how fortunate Jim's boss is. She went to Chili to her son's wedding in Santiago late last week. The wedding was Saturday. Yup, the Saturday of the big quake. We finally found out this morning they are all fine and the wedding went forth as planned but it was a day no one in Santiago will ever forget. They got the big jolt but due to good building codes their hotel was just fine. I was thinking what are the chances that we would know someone visiting Santiago just then. Weird.

I am thankful for...having the Women's Conference presentation behind me at last. Good experience but better viewed from this side.

From the learning room...so much about WWII right now. What an amazing piece of history and so incredibly sad.

I am reading...Vienna Prelude...yep, still at it. Plodding along in a very exciting book at a tortoise pace. I am embarrassed to keep putting this down.

From the kitchen...I did a major bit of grocery shopping today and have practically everything I will need for a few weeks. Whew! I have all the things for the kitchen put away, but I have several bags of things that go into the pantry sitting on my laundry room counter to put away.

I am wondering...How all our kids and grandkids are doing today. Piper is sick with the flu, Hazel still recovering from her pneumonia and I am hoping everyone else is dong well. I will be so glad when winter is over and everyone will hopefully be less susceptible to all the viruses going around.

I am wearing...Some jeans and a brown shirt. No jewelry right now and no shoes. Just took a little rest. I am still worn out from the past few weeks. Jim comes home later on Monday due to a little visit he pays his mom each week.

I am hearing..the neighbor's gardeners blowing down their yard, the music from the kitchen and someone hammering something in the distance.

I am going...to watch another DVD from War and Remembrance tonight. I have been learning so much from it and feeling a special connection to my dad as I watch it. I am wondering how much of a life changing experience it was for him and how he and mom dealt with it. He never talked about it much but he was a member of a medical corp in the Pacific Islands. It had to be a pretty brutal experience.

Today if I could change one thing...it would be that my parents were still alive so I could talk to them about these war torn years. I think theirs was a generation of people that shielded their kids from a lot of what they experienced during those years and during the depression.

I am quoting
...I believe in Christ as I believe in the rising sun~Not because I can see it but because by it I can see everything else. C.S. Lewis


My spiritual thoughts include...wondering just why God's children have been warring since the beginning of time and how in that department very little has been learned or has changed.

Around the house...almost all the stuff is put away from Jim's snow camping and now I can just feel like things are almost back to normal after many months of upheaval. I still cannot seem to get all the dust gone on my hardwood floors. I am so thankful I don't have carpeting. It almost seems like the dust is rising out of the spaces between the floor planks. I think it is gone and then I find more. I have always cleaned my own house but I am sorely tempted to call a cleaning lady just once after this big remodel.

I am missing...a younger body so I could do more in a day. I am chuckling about a description my brother shared with me that an aging body is like a melting candle. The visual imagery is perfect, isn't it, ladies?

I am hoping...I actually accomplish my goals this week.

I have been procrastinating...getting a tax appointment so I can get the prep done.

One of my guilty pleasures...Saying I can do it tomorrow when I really can't muster up the gumption to do something tedious today. Whoops! I do hold myself to a pretty stringent schedule so I can do this now and again when I am not running off to work everyday.

One of my favorite things...Not running off to work every day.

A few plans for the rest of the week...paperwork, cooking, making some appointments, just the usual this and that. Dinner out over the weekend with Jim.

Here is a picture and thought I am sharing with you...


This is an old photo of my parents from 30 something years ago. I found it this week and tried to color correct it. It was almost completely faded away. My dad died when Laura was a baby so he was 61 when he died and would be 92 now and my mom would be 90 and has been gone six years in November. I really miss them still so much and always will. They were wonderful, kind parents and a perfect example of a happily married couple. They set the bar pretty high for us all.

2 comments:

Caroline Craven said...

I love the picture of your parents. Did you just scan the photo in? I need to learn to do a ton more of this blogging stuff. I just did a post about Nicki's birthday (taking a page from you) but didn't include any pictures of her as a young child and I couldn't even find on one my computer of just her dressed up. It was very frustrating b/c I wanted to add a ton more pictures. I wish I could have been at your class.

LA Adams said...

Nice, very nice. I really like this review today as my friend is going off oxygen and will be allowed to "pass" peacefully. So it's been really nice to read all your blogs tonight as I contemplate life and my place in it. I love your testimony and experience.